Buckinger

Reverse Stitching

When I hit the reverse lever on my machine, it doesn't stitch neatly in the same holes it made going forward. Is there some way to adjust the machine to hit the same holes? Or I was wondering if the needle position makes a difference. I have tried starting the reverse stitch with the needle fully down, fully up and everything in between but it doesn't seem to be consistent.

You didn't mention what machine you're using, but I have the same problem with a Techsew 3650. Like you I've tried everything and finally just gave up and I roll the machine by hand for back stitching.

Back stiching on any machine is always gonna be ugly . You can always back stitch with your machine using the hand wheel & your foot lift moving the piece backwards by hand . But of course , the best is to bite the bullet and finish by hand . At least your clients will have a strong product . But that's only my opinion

In some cases, you may have to put a couple of washers behind the top screw on the stitch length bracket.(Between the casting and the bracket). This will allow the lever to stop sooner which will give you a shorter stitch in reverse. 99% of the time, this will cure the problem. Steve

Back stiching on any machine is always gonna be ugly . You can always back stitch with your machine using the hand wheel & your foot lift moving the piece backwards by hand . But of course , the best is to bite the bullet and finish by hand . At least your clients will have a strong product . But that's only my opinion

Thanks!

I kinda sorta thought this is how it would be.

In some cases, you may have to put a couple of washers behind the top screw on the stitch length bracket.(Between the casting and the bracket). This will allow the lever to stop sooner which will give you a shorter stitch in reverse. 99% of the time, this will cure the problem. Steve

Thanks Steve!

My problem is shorter back stitches. So I would shim the bottom of the braket?

Hi Pappy , I'm 66 & I've been sewing proffesionly for 30 Years . Yah I got plenty of machines & I use them a lot . I never use reverse ! even if I can't spell proffeshionally

Hey pappy,

some dog collars using the machine to stitch the front part and finishing everything by hand, hiding the threads too.

Ralph.

post-23271-0-25588100-1376409273_thumb.j

post-23271-0-88122300-1376409282_thumb.j

post-23271-0-78052300-1376409291_thumb.j

post-23271-0-54033100-1376409301_thumb.j

post-23271-0-93245700-1376409309_thumb.j

Thanks for the replies. I am glad it is not just me. I have a Highlead machine.

Steve, if the machine is properly set up, should I expect to get perfect stitches in reverse? And should it matter when I press the reverse lever - ie the height of the needle.

Hi Pappy , I'm 66 & I've been sewing proffesionly for 30 Years . Yah I got plenty of machines & I use them a lot . I never use reverse ! even if I can't spell proffeshionally

Don't feel bad, apparantly I can't spell "braket" :rofl:

Yes, if the machine is set up correctly, the needle should go back in the same holes. If you shim the bottom of the bracket, that would only work on a long stitch length. You would be better served if you take down some of the bracket in front. These are not the correct remedies, but they should work. The best thing to do is to find a mechanic in your area that understands how to set the forward/reverse stitch. If you need more help, please call myself, Bob, Ronnie, Gregg, and others. Steve

Hey pappy,

some dog collars using the machine to stitch the front part and finishing everything by hand, hiding the threads too.

Ralph.

That is REALLY nice work!