glockanator

Strap Cutter Problems

Good day I have a tandy strap cutter (the cast alumium one). I am having problems keepi.g the leather from riding up and not cutting a nice strap. Anyone else have issues like this?

ive never used the cast alum strap cutter, only the wooden one. I have been told, and as far as i can see in design, that since the leather is set between two pieces of wood, lets call the adjustable vise? That they are much easier to use and guide than the metal ones.

The issue is probably the sharpness of the blade, or how the leather is being fed into it. I've found it most helpful to have a vice (or another person) holding the leather as I pull my strap cutter through it. That 'tension' on the leather keeps it mostly flat, and feeding true.

Make sure you are pulling on the piece of leather that is being cut off .

The blade that comes with the tandy strap cutter is to thick. I just bought one and couldn't use it. I broke a utility knife blade in half and used that. It works much better and doesn't ride up like the original blade. I used the double ended blades and 1/2 is just right. If you don't break them in half the bottom end will get you. Ask me how I know, drip drip drip. Gump

I hold mine with my middle finger on the trigger, my index finger on the right side of the frame above the bar pointing forward and my thumb is to the left side of the frame guiding the leather and keeping it down. I set my gauge blades in tipped towards me just a bit. That slicing action helps keep the leather down on the bar too. - here's a little unrehearsed off the rack action clip some schmuck was featured in for a museum display of saddler tools -