I have been using baby food jars for storing batches of mixed dyes but the lids do not tighten well and I have evaporation and storage issues. I usually only mix small batches but if I had a more reliable bottle I might mix more. How do you store your dyes?

Try badger air brush bottles. Also, for most bottles or jars, cover with plastic wrap before putting the lid on. You can also push the wrap down into the bottle to displace air and reduce evaporation. The wrap also helps keep lids from freezing to the bottle.

Tom

Found a supplier on eBay that sells 4oz. bottles, identical in size and shape as the Fiebings bottles. Thay are not clear but white surface is very easy to write on with marker. Very inexpensive and have a brush in cap, which I always remove.

God Bless.

Ray

2nd attempt to get posted.

I agree with northmount, air brush bottles are great. Check out http://www.tcpglobal.com they have a large selection.

I got a dozen or so urine specimen jars (unused, of course) from a local doctor and they work pretty well. As you would expect, they seal tight.

Plus, they are marked with the measurements on the side so it makes diluting to the same amount each time easy.

I have been using baby food jars for storing batches of mixed dyes but the lids do not tighten well and I have evaporation and storage issues. I usually only mix small batches but if I had a more reliable bottle I might mix more. How do you store your dyes?

Hello NicoleAlaine,

Dug out an eBay item number for you to look at. These are the bottles I use and shape of Fiebings 4 oz. bottles. 100 lot for 19.99 and with shipping, comes to @ .32 per bottle.

Item number: 310724181320

Scre on caps and don't break if dropped. That is why I chose plastic. Plenty of others if you search for plastic bottles on eBay.

Hope this is of value.

God Bless.

Ray

I got a dozen or so urine specimen jars (unused, of course) from a local doctor and they work pretty well. As you would expect, they seal tight.

Plus, they are marked with the measurements on the side so it makes diluting to the same amount each time easy.

That is so funny TomG! I'll bet they seal tight!

Thanks for all your responses. I will probably get some plastic bottles off of ebay. It sounds like everyone has a personal preference. I would love to find something with measurements on the side, but it looks like I will have to make do with clear plastic so I can at least mark the sides myself for measuring. I am thinking of getting some of these since I prefer the wide mouth:

http://tinyurl.com/m7336bk

Hopefully they seal nice and tight.

Edited by NicoleAlaine

To follow up, I found these guys on Amazon and I love them:

http://www.amazon.com/Wide-Mouth-Oz-Plastic-Screw-On/dp/B005OLPKN2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=14G8I38L65AAD&coliid=I2TC0JEVRD33J9

They are intended for storing liquids so are totally watertight and they have a wide mouth that makes pouring, mixing and using the dyes really easy. I have been using them for about a month and am completely sold on them :)

The touch-up jars from preval work well. They are 3 oz bottles.

You can also get new cough syrup/medicine bottle at your pharmacy, mine gave me three or four. and they shouldn't be too much at wally world.

I use pint and quart size glass canning jars (mostly pint). I get a great seal and can replace the lids for cheap if I get concerned the seal is not working. I purchased disposable veterinary syringes in various sizes from a local farm store to transfer mixed dye to smaller containers (i.e. for airbrushing). The syringes are labelled in millimeters so I can use them to measure if mixing a small custom batch. I mark each syringe with what color dye it goes with, so I can reuse them.

Ooh, Matt, I love the idea of using syringes to measure dye! I have been using eye droppers and it is a huge pain since there are no measureing marks and they are tiny. Thanks for the tip!

Ooh, Matt, I love the idea of using syringes to measure dye! I have been using eye droppers and it is a huge pain since there are no measureing marks and they are tiny. Thanks for the tip!

I found small syringes that were pricey at several local drug stores. I was a pain (and expensive) measuring with the small syringes. I settled on 20 ml and 60 ml syringes. The cheapest I have found them is at the local farm store in the veterinary section for treating farm animals.

I had a bunch of bottles from American Science and Surplus that worked great, but sadly they are no more.

Now I am the leatherwork hipster, with a row of mason jars. I put glad press and seal around the mouth after each use, makes it airtight. They're clear, obviously, so they need to live away from sunlight. It's... not a good solution, just my current one.

I use the little dip cups you get in take-out bags for small amounts of stuff and to mix my paints in, and airbrush jars for larger amounts.

the great thing about mixing even small amounts in these cups is that you can just pop the lid on it and use it later if you have some left, while mixing on a pallet leaves waste if you don't use it all.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Diamond-Multi-Purpose-Mini-Cups-With-Lids-2-oz-50ct/17056809

I am surprised that no one else uses old 4oz Fiebings bottles. I also use a 60ml syringe and needle to measure the dyes out.

Ian.

I am surprised that no one else uses old 4oz Fiebings bottles. I also use a 60ml syringe and needle to measure the dyes out.

Ian.

I have some lying around. I use the Resolene bottles for thinned Resolene. I just don't mix up that much of a color at once. Usually if I have to mix a color, it's for a small area that will be hand brushed. There's only been a couple of instances where I need larger amounts in order to airbrush the color, which in that case, it's still not enough to justify a full 4oz bottle. That's where the small dip cups have come in perfectly for me. I do tend to mix more paint then dye, which I'll usually mix directly in the dip cup so I don't lose any on the pallet.