Hello all leatherworkers, I was recently asked by a fellow member id I had a pattern for a backpack I made. So after putting it together for him I thought I should also share with the community. It's not a full size pattern, it is drawn on 1/4 inch grid paper so it will have to scaled up. I also added my construction process/instructions with the pattern. I hope it makes since. Let me know what you think. Here is a picture of the backpack I made. The link is:

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

back

front

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B880XxS2yBYDTnBQc3hIUEtiNms/edit?usp=sharing

backpack pattern.pdf

Backpack Construction.pdf

Edited by Northmount
Uploaded pdf files

Thanks for sharing!

Karina

Thanks for the great pattern. I've been wanting to make something like this to carry camera gear at the camps.

Thank you for sharing this.... My middle schooler is wanting a new backpack and i think you nailed it!

Beautiful bag! What kind of leather did you use? Is it all the same leather?

I used 5.5 ounce oil tan from hidehouse leather and pigskin as a lining.

I probably won't try to make this bag but wanted to say thank you for sharing. It's a big deal when someone goes out of their way to help others understand how things are made and constructed. I have only been working with leather for about 2 years now and have just recently put together a briefcase. However, the turmoil and reluctance to do so was pretty painful, simply because I really didn't know how to go about putting one together. This will help a lot of folks.

thanks for the share, ive been working on a backpack for my daughter,

soe, ive realized that using one whole leather, instead of splitting them up, to front and back, would be easier to assemble.

But learning by fooling.

how much does that backpack weigh? one thing i never liked about saddleback leather's bags is how heavy they are. hoping your design and materials make it lighter.

I'm not sure I haven't weighed it, but I would guess around 10lbs. I used about 20 sqft of 5.5 oz to make it.

Thank you very much...I plan to make my backpack, your pattern will help me a lot ...Once again, it's very kind of you sharing your work.

Thanks for sharing.

Nice backpack. Thanks for sharing.

Very cool, this is exactly what I am looking to make for myself. Thanks so much for sharing.

Thanks a lot for this pattern! As a guy who's new to leather craft I am trying to acquire as many patterns as possible and this backpack specifically is something I'd like to build.