RoosterShooter

Does Anyone Know How .... Bench Grinder To Burnisher?

I have a cheap bench grinder that I never use, and was wondering if there is a way to adapt the 1/2" arbor to accommodate a burnishing tool.

Does anyone have any ideas?

The only main issue with that is the speed. Usually these grinders are 3000+ RPM and a burnisher needs to be between 1250 and 1750 RPM.

Do a search here for burnisher and adapter and motor and see what you get. There was a thread running here for a while on building or converting a motor to a burnisher. Parts and sources were listed.

Tom

Here is how I did mine.

If your motor is going too fast, there are speed controllers that would probably be a lot cheaper than a new motor.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-40491200-1377390828_thumb.jp

post-6728-0-49623300-1377390851_thumb.jp

post-6728-0-37434700-1377390866_thumb.jp

It's not necessary for a burnisher to have to run between 1250 and 1750 rpms. My bench grinder burnisher ran at 3000+ rpms. Here's a sample of the edges I got (with very little effort): MPCompact2.jpg Here's a pic of one side of the burnisher. It was modeled after the Weaver #9 tool and made to fit the 1/2" shaft: Slicker1a.jpg Here's a pic of the other side: Slicker1.jpg

Edited by K-Man

I agree with K-man it depends of the material used in the burnishing tool and method of edge burnishing (wax or not). You can also make a new shaft fixed in two bench mounted frame-bearings and a V belt drive (two pulley`s that make a gear). Then you will have a pro tool, and as long as you want to without stressing the motors bearings. Frequency controllers are generally more expensive than cheap bench grinders.

Tor

Here is how I did mine.

If your motor is going too fast, there are speed controllers that would probably be a lot cheaper than a new motor.

May God bless,

Dwight

Make sure the motor on the grinder can be used with a speed control, i just built a buffer out of a cheap garage sale find and realized AC motors need a VFD (variable frequency Drive) to be able to adjust rpms and not over Amp thus overheating the motor. A DC motor can use just a variating foot pedal an AC motor has to use momentary or on/off switch unless you drop the cash on a VFD or the other thing i cant remember the name of atm. Bearman makes dremel burnishers in the same concept as the grinder mods these gentlemen are using and i have my dremel mounted into a press that also has the ability to turn sideways.