georgeandgracie

Thread Lint In Consew Tension Discs

Is it normal to get a noticeable amount of lint in the tension discs? It's the same color as the thread I'm using. There is lint in the top thread discs as well as the discs for the bobbin winder. This is a Consew 205RB-3, and the thread is polyester, size 92.

Yes,it is very common for this to happen so much so that when I service a machine of this type that's the first thing I do is take the tension apart & clean & check the discs for grooves & replace if needed.It probably should be done maybe once a month.Some threads will produce more lint than others

That is not normal for premium bonded thread. It may be a bad batch or poorly bonded (it happens). Try using a different brand (or batch number) of thread.

Alternately, try running the thread through silicon lube in a lube pot, or magnetic lube jar. You might even try soaking the spools in a quart or gallon of silicon lube.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Bob is also right. If there are grooves worn into the tension disks, bobbin spring, guides, or take-up lever, the thread will tend to fray.

How fast do you sew?

I sew really, really slow, at the slowest setting of the servo. And I haven't done much of it because I've had so much trouble with the tension. Maybe there is something wrong with the machine.

The machine has just come home from Ralph's Industrial Sewing Machines in Denver, where they replaced the hook mechanism. I've not yet had a chance to try it, but I do trust that things will be better.