TomSwede

Cig box, not a tut but some how to's anyway

I got a few requests on how to do this one. This not a complete tutorial but the main info can be drawn from the describing text on the images and hopefully the rest is not so hard to figure out. I've only one word of advice, think tings over, not once, not twice but trice should do it it, before putting the knife down on a piece. Results came out lucky here but there's plenty of times one would just have to go back and start over again. An original plan is there for a reason and I was lucky to have free hands on design so no customer sitting and waiting for an item with specifics.

Tom

IMG_8020_01.jpg

IMG_8026_01.jpg

IMG_8027_01.jpg

IMG_8037_01.jpg

IMG_8038_01.jpg

IMG_8039_01.jpg

IMG_8040_01.jpg

IMG_8042_01.jpg

IMG_8048_01.jpg

post-5146-1221520426_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1221520435_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1221520445_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1221520456_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1221520470_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1221520490_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1221520503_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1221520574_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1221520587_thumb.jpg

Edited by TomSwede

What a wonderful "how to" Tom! Thanks so much for sharing.

What are you using for the initials? Is that a stencil of some sort? I really love the way you did the initials!

Hilly

Thanks Hilly!

There's a link to the font in my show offf post for this one.

I just drew the font as it is onto the trensfer film and with the pointed stylus transferred them over and after that I just touched that up with a little more pressure from the stylus. No carving for the the black parts inside the letters in other words.

Tom

Thanks for that great "how to" Tom.

You're aiming for that Stohlman award huh?!

Art

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thanks Tom!

I love "How tos". This is one I file away.

Thanks for that great "how to" Tom.

You're aiming for that Stohlman award huh?!

Art

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Sure but it's far away so it's nothing I think alot about, I follow you guys like a shadow and hope I get past someday.

Thanks a bunch Art!

Thanks Tom!

I love "How tos". This is one I file away.

Thanks Rdb!

I got your belt tut somewhere too, it had some fine pointers that is pliable for more than just beltmaking, like staining and how you do edges.

Tom

Thanks, Tom! Alot of good tips there. Not sure I'd have figured out to punch the holes then eye up the alignment and mark for the top. (Well - not in the first week of me trying, maybe by new top number 10 or 12 :-) Do you think it would help when lacing the top to tie off in a few places to keep it from sliding? I need to put this holder on my list of things I want to try to make. Thanks!

Crystal

very nice Tom thanks a lot.

What Stolman award?

The Al Stohlman Award for Achievement in Leather Craft is given to a very few.

This prestigious annual award honors the accomplishments of the individual leather artist’s world wide. It is given to one who has demonstrated continued dedication to the industry following the example set by Al Stohlman the world’s most talented, best known and respected leather artist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Stohlman

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/museum.asp

The Al Stohlman Award for Achievement in Leather Craft is given to a very few.

This prestigious annual award honors the accomplishments of the individual leather artist’s world wide. It is given to one who has demonstrated continued dedication to the industry following the example set by Al Stohlman the world’s most talented, best known and respected leather artist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Stohlman

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/museum.asp

when is it given and were and do people have to apply.

Thanks, Tom! Alot of good tips there. Not sure I'd have figured out to punch the holes then eye up the alignment and mark for the top. (Well - not in the first week of me trying, maybe by new top number 10 or 12 :-) Do you think it would help when lacing the top to tie off in a few places to keep it from sliding? I need to put this holder on my list of things I want to try to make. Thanks!

Crystal

Thank you Crystal!

I did actually for my first rod tube mark out the top first and then put down the holes on a scribed line to the cylindrical piece but that was alot harder. This method is very easy to me because you can easily lean the the tube so that the eye sees both the actual hole and the spot to mark up for the new one just make sure to not loose pressure so that lid slides out of position. You are gonna have to reposition fingers as you unless yo put it on desktop that so can walk around.

I'd use tie offs if it was bigger but maybe for the first one they would be good to use for the first one perhaps especially if not used to do lacing.

I've only used basketweave to do this type because I think the edges needs to be covered as much as possible.

For typical double or triple loop braid one would really need to skive the edges 45 degrees to make it look good and that's a practice on my "to learn" list but I'm not sure those would look any good over an edge like this. They kinda ride on top of the edge and the edge here is at an angle so probably hard to get it even.

very nice Tom thanks a lot.

What Stolman award?

Thanks Jbird!

The Stohlman award is the only thing better than his workbench, lol ;)

Tom

Tom,

You are lucky we can not curse here or I'd express how much I appreciate this tutorial. I will get you on MySpace but make sure no kids read it. This is awesome though. Did a great job not only designing, producing, fixing and explaining your work. Great job!!!

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Thanks Spider!! I'm in Sweden and no one gives a damn bout cussing anymore here so give me your best.

I'm very glad my little efforts on this could be of use to anyone else.

Tom

very nice job, and i like how you shared one creative way to cover a mistake. i really like those fancy letters also. can you tell me where you got the design?

ken

never mind, i reread the above posts and saw that i missed where the letter design came from...damn my eyes...

never mind, i reread the above posts and saw that i missed where the letter design came from...damn my eyes...

It can happen to the best of eyes :blink:

It is a very nice font!

Tom