SirNanigans

What's Profitable For A Beginner?

First of all, Hello! I am new to this community, and have joined because I may be taking up leatherworking as a profitable hobby.

Recently, I have created a renaissance faire costume - also my first leatherworking project. Although I made some rookie mistakes with measurements, order of operations, etc., I found that the process of working leather came naturally and that by the end of the months long project I was able to produce some simple greaves (tooled, dyed, finished, riveted) in under 2 hours, looking just as nice as the rest of the armor. The project encompassed everything from cutting, tooling, hardening, dying, and finishing 9oz leather; to hand stitching through it as well as through suede to line the armor and conceal padding (was meant to be worn on bare skin... gotta have that padding).

So the armor ran me about $300 - $350, and a recent occupational switch to part time has rendered me dirt poor and in need of cash, but with some extra spare time, so I turn my gaze to the heaping pile of leftover materials that has accumulated.

I have...

9oz Tooling Shoulder (~10sqft)

Softy Pig Suede (~4sqft)

Rabbit Furs (3.5 furs)

Dark Brown Antique Dye

Blockout

Satin Finish

Weatherproofing Compound

Etc...

...and I need to make things out of it to get my money back.

So I have found this awesome looking community and I ask it this: In the interest of making money, what kind of projects should I consider making from my leftovers?

I am putting profitability above all else, but in the event of a preference being necessary, I prefer to make old-school items. No, not 1980's old-school, more like 1380's old-school. I have made bows, bullroarers, didgeridoos, etc. Heck, I even boiled my own hide glue to attach the rawhide to my bow, so I am certainly a fan of cool stuff the way it used to be made. Fantasy gear is definitely an option, and so is quality gear that is used all the time, like wallets and watchbands. I sadly know nothing of gun/knife sheaths, which I have read is profitable.

...anyway, thanks a lot for reading! Bonus thanks for responding, and expect to see pictures of my materials and armor when my phone is repaired!

Edited by SirNanigans

Leatherwork can be a moneymaking hobby, and for some a profitable full time income. but you cant just put a price on something without taking into account some things, example: your time involved, your skill level, materials including dye and finish, and quality. you stated above that your putting profitability above all else, if I were you I would revise that and make quality and a range of affordability above all. you can make a boatload of products, but if they are subpar, then you retain no customers. and word of mouth will loose you more business. Since your more into the renfair business make belts and pouches starting out. forget about profitability. just worry about quality. look around at fairs, you will see loads of profitability with crappy items. make quality and your name will grow making you more.

Edited by Sturme

Leather is no different from any other business.

Go where your talents and interests lay.

Above all, consider leather work as a custom business, . . . not a retail business.

For now, . . . I would look to your buds from the renfair, . . . what would they need? What would they like?

Also, you may put your work on Ebay, . . . I've sold several pieces through them, . . . all satisfied customers, . . . and, . . . uhhhh, . . . yeah, . . . I spent all the profit.

Look for renfair forums, . . . showcase your work on them, . . . make sure folks know you are available to do work for them.

You are already one leg up on most of us here, as we have other pursuits, . . . mine is holsters and gun belts for the concealed carry crowd.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks for the advice guys.

Sturme, my only disagreement is more of a difference in perspective, and that's that I am just trying to refund myself and get some cash in my pocket right now, because I am only weeks away from owing money that I do not have. Otherwise, I completely understand your advice, and as a perfectionist, I will undoubtedly be concerned for the quality of my products. If I choose to continue making leather crafts after I run out of these supplied, then I will certainly be following your advice.

Dwight, that sounds like good advice, too. Perhaps the best way to make my money quickly and efficiently is to simply sell it before I make it. Not literally, of course, but making a product and searching for the right consumer might take longer than finding any consumer and then making their product.

Thanks again. Think I might try a whirl at something new. Although it would risk ruining my materials if I screw up, I do hate making the same thing twice, and some gauntlets are calling my name...

As with most business' you will lose money in the first (whatever) period. If you make a piece of armour and the leather cost you $50 but you had to buy a maul and some stitching groovers that also cost you $50, do not see it as you need to earn $100 back from that armour to break even, as you can reuse the tools.

You will hit profit once you collect all tools, once you start pumping out truly good work and once you gain reputation. This may take 6 months, may take 6 years. Don't rush it and only make what you can sell.

I for example, refrain from buying new tools (that I truly need) until I sell some leather to cover the cost. and I only make to order, so the sale is guaranteed, price pre-agreed.

If orders are not coming in, start making simple stuff like mobile / cell wallets, for birthdays, free give aways etc.. materials cost is minimal and your reputation (and skill) will increase with each item.