mkspence

End Punches For Horse Tack?

post-30730-0-94826500-1377900556_thumb.p

I made my first piece of tack the other day...it was a bit hanger for a Paso Fino. I used a Kuda one as a model but did not have the same end punch. I cut mine by hand but was not pleased with the results. The end punch on the original appeared to have been a long taper to a rounded end. Where would I find one of those? I have been searching for end punches to make the rest of the head gear (jaquima) but can't find it. Can anyone help?

Fold a piece of heavy paper in half. Draw an attractive curve, cut it out and unfold. Instant, symmetrical template.

Maybe contact Black River Laser and see if they would laser you a nice heavy duty acrylic tracing template to match the arc and length you'd like?

Thanks, fellow WB Eagle WinterBear! I have ordered from Black River Laser before and they are excellent. Just get a template and then cut with a bot cutter? Leathercraft scissors did not work well.

Box cutters do a fine job for cutting out shapes, as long as you don't slip!

Thanks, fellow WB Eagle WinterBear! I have ordered from Black River Laser before and they are excellent. Just get a template and then cut with a bot cutter? Leathercraft scissors did not work well.

Sorry, I've been out of touch again. Are you also an Eagle?

Yes, a box cutter works pretty well. Use a new blade, and strop it first for best results. I also recommend going by your local JoAnn's/Michael's/Hobby Lobby/quilt shop and nabbing something called a Quilter's Tool handle. It lets you hold the template down while cutting and keeps your fingers out of the way of the blade (http://www.simplicity.com/p-3775-quilters-tool-handle.aspx for an example). I got myself one when I took a slice off my fingers when cutting fabric for quilting, and find they work just fine on other templates too (as long as the suction cups attach to a solid and smooth spot on the template).