shtoink

Homemade Swivel Knives (And Maybe Other Stuff)

My tool collection started out as an inheritance from my Grandfather. I have added to it here and there since, but that is where most of it came from. Amongst this collection were what you'd typically find in an old collection. Lots of punches, lots of leftover things, and all sorts of similar items, but the thing I wanted to share with you guys was the swivel knives he had made back in the early to mid 50's. I never got much detail from him as to exactly when he made them, but judging from the other things I had seen him make, these must have been pretty early in his career as a machinist.

post-32478-0-33238500-1377985116_thumb.j

post-32478-0-84323900-1377985122_thumb.j

post-32478-0-69371800-1377985128_thumb.j

They are far from fancy, but they are functional and the simplicity is what I find most interesting. As far as comfort goes, they have their issues.

I feel that sharing them might inspire others to maybe do something similar for themselves. Sometimes the tool you make might not be as nice or a well polished as the expensive variety made commercially, but they seem to carry more sentiment because it was something you made. I think that is one of the biggest reasons behind a lot of us enjoying the work done with leather.

I hope you all enjoy the show-and-tell and might consider sharing tools that you, or someone close to you, made for whatever the reason might be. Also, I started this one, because I didn't want to hijack anyone else's thread.

Wow how cool is that! Thanks for sharing. I've picked up a few things over the years that every time I see them remind me of my grandfather. But don't have anything that was personally his.

I haven't run across very many custom tools from the few bundles that I have purchased in the past, but I do have a couple.

The two on the left are made from some sort of aluminum rod and were apparently made by the father of the guy that I purchased them from at a garage sale. The one on the far right is a stylus that I am pretty sure my Grandfather made at some point because he either didn't have one at the time or felt that he could do better.

post-32478-0-39074500-1378181019_thumb.j

I also ran across a blog by a gentleman located in Singapore that has put together quite a collection of custom, homemade tools for himself. He has some very cool looking mauls, a forming die for making bottle caps into decorations, and even a spork that has been turned into a thonging chisel. I only mention this guy's blog, because it really exemplifies that you are only limited by imagination and some basic stuff to work with. Truly the heart of DIY right there.

How lucky are you!! No one in my family has done leatherwork before so all my tools etc I have had to buy, I would love & cherish something like that what had been made by a relative.

Very interesting conception. I hope they are working out for you!

I haven't run across very many custom tools from the few bundles that I have purchased in the past, but I do have a couple.

The two on the left are made from some sort of aluminum rod and were apparently made by the father of the guy that I purchased them from at a garage sale. The one on the far right is a stylus that I am pretty sure my Grandfather made at some point because he either didn't have one at the time or felt that he could do better.

post-32478-0-39074500-1378181019_thumb.j

I also ran across a blog by a gentleman located in Singapore that has put together quite a collection of custom, homemade tools for himself. He has some very cool looking mauls, a forming die for making bottle caps into decorations, and even a spork that has been turned into a thonging chisel. I only mention this guy's blog, because it really exemplifies that you are only limited by imagination and some basic stuff to work with. Truly the heart of DIY right there.

Good morning from Singapore!Thank you for visiting my blog. Brandon aka Opel Mok.