DJ1935

First Saddle Finished

My first saddle it took a while but I got there - with a little help from Al Stholman (he was probably looking down and pulling his hair out at times) as well some helpful advice from this great forum. Built on a ralide roper tree, all stainless hardware and American skirting leather. Had some great positive feedback from the Team Roping guys already so, hopefully someone will take it home and I'll see it round the arena this season. DJ post-5220-0-16788500-1378007579_thumb.jp

Nice first effort, DJ. What was the most difficult part of this project? Did you have a leather sewing machine...or did you stitch everything by hand?

Hey D. Nice work my dear. And I guess a little help from Ivan. I guess that you have reached the pinnacle of leatherwork. We can call you a saddler from now on girl. I hear Glen came to see you on his bike. Ha ha he told me he cruised up there one day for a delivery. Give me a call sometime regards TK

Thank you for your comments, much appreciated. Physically the most difficult bit was covering the swells, no need to go to the gym after that work out! I thought stitching the cantle was going to be the worst bit but once I got started - and worked out that I needed a jerk needle it wasn't so bad. I stitched the swell front and the back billets with the Pearson #6, the cantle and horn by hand. Hi Trevor, great to hear from you and yes, will get in touch. I don't know about the "Saddler" title - how many saddles do you have to make before you earn your stripes? Good question really, I've never had any formal training, apart from some mentoring by a qualified local Saddler but have fiddled about with leather for almost forty years, probably longer than some qualified people, does that make one a "leatherworker", a saddle maker or a saddler? What ever the answer one never stops learning with leather, always something new to discover. Cheers DJ

Great job! There is a certain "feeling" you get when you stand back and look at a finished that is addictive! I always start another right away!