Redhed

Cutting Straps For Braiding.

Have made a few mystery braid straps for the kids and friends, issue I have is cutting the strips evenly.... after the first cut all the others seem to slip and curve unde the ruler and knife. Any tips or tricks graciously received. Thanks :-)

Now that must be a paradox!!! Bareback riding champion written on a......saddle!! LOL

My first thought is more pressure to hold things down, but you might also look at the blade. " Scary sharp" is usually required to slice the leather without pulling on it. You might also want to complete the cuts in multiple passes, so the you aren't putting all that much pressure on the blade. If your blade feels like it's dragging a bit, stop and strop.

Cut some squares of firmish leather about an inch Square and punch a hole in the centre of each one, to take a suitable machine screw or bolt. Add a washer to each end and a nut. Slacken the bolt a little and place several razpr or utility knife blades between the layers, at whatever spacings you want. Tighten the bolt and crack on. You can even add a fence at one side. Plywood or similar can be substited for the leather if you don't have anything suitable.

Redhead

Along the same lines as Matt suggested. Take some plexi glass and cut two pieces about 4" long and 3" tall. These will be your outside pieces. Then cut four pieces 4" long and 1-1/2" tall. These are your inside pieces and will hold the razor blades. You will now need to cut 5 pieces 4" long and 1" wide. These will be your fingers to hold the leather down between the razor blades. You'll also want to cut a angle on one end of the finger pieces.

Line your outside pieces and inside pieces up and drill a hole in the front and back. Run a screw through and put a nut on it. Next put the fingers together and place them between the outside pieces. The end with the angle should go to the front and the angle should face down. Once the fingers are within the frame drill a hole through the fingers and outside pieces. Run a bolt through the outside pieces and fingers. You don't want to tighten the nut down to tight as the fingers should move freely.

Place razor blades between the inside pieces and tighten down. Mark a line on the bottom of your leather were you want your braid to start. Place this line on the points of the razor blades and push the fingers down onto the leather pushing the razors through the leather and between the razor blades. Using your thumb to hold the fingers down on top of the leather pull the plexi glass thingy towards ya until ya reach the other mark were ya want your braid to stop. When doing reins I'd insert the rein into the cutter bending over with one foot on the leather just stand up pulling the cutter with ya. I've cut hundreds of 5 and 3 plait reins with one of these they work great. You'll need to decide the width of your rein and then divide that by the # of strings ya want. Then build your box to fit those measurements. I had one for three and five plait reins.

I had a buddy make me some put of aluminum. They were real nice. I'd take pictures but I borrowed em to a fella a few years back and haven't got them back yet.

The measurements I listed may need to be adjusted as I don't have one in front of me and I was pulling those from memory. I hope my description isn't to cornfusing

Best of luck, Mike