BevJones

My first saddle

Well, the Wisconsin future saddle maker from awhile back has finally become a saddle maker, albeit, a new one, but rather proud of my first saddle. It looks a bit blotchy as the oil is still soaking in.

saddle_1.jpg

saddle_2.jpg

post-5375-1221616137_thumb.jpg

post-5375-1221616151_thumb.jpg

Congrats! and good work

Josh

Fantastic job! Did you have a teacher or do this on your own? Either way great job.

ArtS

Hi all. The future WI saddle maker finally made her first saddle. I'm pretty proud of it. I might add that my hands, wrists and chest muscles ache ;) I posted in the show off section but figured that was the wrong spot for it so sorry if I'm being redundant. I put in a padded seat on a high cantle and I was real pleased with how it turned out.

saddle_3.jpg

saddle_1.jpg

saddle_2.jpg

post-5375-1221616924_thumb.jpg

post-5375-1221616939_thumb.jpg

post-5375-1221616959_thumb.jpg

Fantastic job! Did you have a teacher or do this on your own? Either way great job.

ArtS

Our local Amish opened their shop to me for equipment and helped me when I was stuck. They were great and very helpful. They stopped me when they saw me moving in the wrong direction and would show me the best way to do things and then made me do it. I did not have the hand strength to push the awl through all those layers of cantle leather so they said I could use a drill. Four broken bits later, I finally finished it.

Well, the Wisconsin future saddle maker from awhile back has finally become a saddle maker, albeit, a new one, but rather proud of my first saddle. It looks a bit blotchy as the oil is still soaking in.

Bev,

Good job. Now you have the saddle "bug" lol. We all have it!! :cowboy:

While you are planning the next one, read through all the posts in the saddle board. There is lots of information to be found!!

Rick J.

Good job and I'd be proud to ride it!!!! 'Course with a last name like "Jones" how can you go wrong!!!!

What kind of tree did you use??? I am assuming Ralide since I see one in the background.

.....again.....it looks great and I like the lacing on the swell!!

Tim

what tree did you use

As we say in Oz, " What a beauty mate !!"

The colour looks great!

Well done!!

I can't wait to start making saddles one day.

You should be very proud of yourself. Saddle it up, and take it for a ride.

Now get going on the next one....

Wow, Congrats and well done saddle maker Bev :You_Rock_Emoticon: girl :-)

That is great work. You should be very proud of yourself. You have every reason to ride tall in that saddle.

Good job and I'd be proud to ride it!!!! 'Course with a last name like "Jones" how can you go wrong!!!!What kind of tree did you use??? I am assuming Ralide since I see one in the background......again.....it looks great and I like the lacing on the swell!!Tim
I used a Bowden wood/rawhide tree. Ellensburg model. After all the research, I felt a wood/rawhide is the only way to go. My horses name is DB so I'm going to call the business DB Jones Saddlery. Hoping to get my website up this winter. Thanks for the compliment :)
what tree did you use.Josh
A Bowden Ellensburg wood/rawhide. The ralide in the background is what I used to form the stirrup fenders.

Hi all. The future WI saddle maker finally made her first saddle. I'm pretty proud of it. I might add that my hands, wrists and chest muscles ache ;) I posted in the show off section but figured that was the wrong spot for it so sorry if I'm being redundant. I put in a padded seat on a high cantle and I was real pleased with how it turned out.

looks fine, you should be proud of this one. it does take some hand work though!!!!!

Thank you all for the compliments and words of encouragement. Now I just have to find a sewing machine :)