Jasonlboyd

Portable Stitching Pony

Has anyone every made a portable stitching pony? With my job I spend 1-3 nights a week at a hotel and I was considering building a sitching pony I could stash in my suitcase to take with me. Then I could work on cutting, tooling, etc at home, and then I could stitch in the comfort of a hotel room. If anyone has something that might suit this, please share a pattern with me. I have an idea, but I'm always willing to take in new info.

A lot depends on how big of items that you are going to be stitching. The pony could be made to break down for portability also. -- Tex

I considered making one designed to lay on its side with the jaw being on the side. Then a small bar style clamp to clamp it to a desk/ table in a hotel, but all small enough to pack in the suitcase.

Here is the real cheap one that I use. scroll down for more pictures. -- Tex

Two Dollar Stitching Jig - Leather Tools - Leatherworker.net

I recently bought one from a Korean tool Maker - Elfita.

It is a french type stitching clamp that can be folded in half.

See my below website for picture.

http://www.crimsonhides.com/blog.html

White trash stitching pony I made in less than half an hour including the time spent going to the auto parts store to get a spring and the car battery clamps with wing nuts....total cost: $8.59....wood was scrap fence slats, a piece of 2x4 cut in half lengthwise and a big chunk of 2x12

post-45359-0-60063900-1383519179_thumb.j

I made my stitching pony from these free plans on Chuck Burrow's Wild Rose Trading Center web site:

http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/tutorials/_stitchpony.html

Works great for me.

Mine is made of red oak and has a few modifications from those plans to better fit my needs. This basic plan stands up to any number of modifications. for example, one could easily make the bottom piece removable so that the parts would lie flat.

Michelle

Edited by silverwingit

Im almost done with mine . I made it out of oak get-attachmentaspx_zps3729c26b.jpg