Does anyone know anything about H.H. Schweitzer saddles out of Matador Texas? I have two saddles inherited from my great great grandfather and great grandfather. I know one was made for my great great grandfather, and don't know where the other one came from. I posted a few pictures, they aren't the best, but at least you can see what I'm talking about. If anyone has any info on the maker I would greatly appreciate it.post-22489-0-13309300-1378924569_thumb.jpost-22489-0-66393200-1378924680_thumb.jpost-22489-0-50749600-1378924774_thumb.j

Wrapping the edge of the horn was seen on good roping saddles around 1960+. I believe the other predated that one, maybe of the 40's and 50's.

Hi kitch2500, hope you are still around as I just stumbled on to this topic and I see you posted some time ago. In any case I am a grandson of the late HH Schweitzer and his wife Willie Schweitzer. I have one saddle very much like the one you have in the first picture (has the same tooling), and I suspect from what I can see, it is a closed fork design which many cowboys preferred in brushy country. That was good for keeping debris out but not the handiest for toting the saddle around. HH (Henry Houston) Schweitzer was a very highly regarded saddle maker and his saddles were very prized by those cowboys fortunate enough to own them. Being a former cowboy on the Matador Ranch (originally Scottish owned and at one time the largest ranch in the world) whose headquarters is just outside of Matador, Texas; Granddad had a very strong understanding of what was needed in the way of making a saddle that fit the needs as well as the comfort of a working cowboy. The tree being the soul of the saddle was of the highest importance to him and he was extremely picky in what he would accept as a tree to build his saddles around. The tooling, if the buyer opted for it, was a mastery of the leather artistry and creative skill displayed by Schweitzer and along with the fit for the working cowboy aspect made him one of the most sought after saddlemakers to ever to ply the trade.

There is a book about my granddad tiled 'Schweitzer' by Bruce Ginnis that has a really good history of him with lots of photo's.

Let me know if I can be of more help; there is so much to tell of this exceptional person.

Randy Moss

How cool is that? Having Great Grampa an Grampa's saddles and talking to the grandson of the guy that made them. That's way cool!!!!

Bob

Randy thanks so much for your reply. This is really interesting. I got your message and i'll be sending you the names of my kin who had the saddles and I would love to know if there was any mention of them in the book. My great, great grandfather came to the panhandle area in the early 1900's and settled between silverton and quitaque in the canyon. We still own part of the original ranch, though a lot was lost due to drought and other ailments of the American rancher. One of my best friends worked also worked on the Matador and I have spent some time on the ranch, not much, but some. History intrigues me very much and when history, leather, and cowboyin' intertwines, it's even better.

KITCH, I find no pictures or text that mentions your family but it does have the purchases that they made with the name item, date, and ledger book number along with the page.

Kitchens 1931 Boots #4 178

Carl Kitchens 1951 Saddle #12 66

Don't know if these are family:

Joe Kitchens 1934 Saddle #3 110

Joe Kitchens 1941 Saddle® #8 23

Was Joe part of the family?

I’m only about 6years late to this post but I just acquired an HH Schweitzer saddle. I’m interested in learning more about. I have pictures but can’t download for some reason! The saddle is floral tooled with “LINN” carved into the back of the cantle and built on bags. 
Any info or help would be greatly appreciated! 
Thanks

7 hours ago, TheSheyenne said:

I have pictures but can’t download for some reason!

Try uploading instead; just a switch in terminology but the words themselves won't help.

This should help you.  You likely need to reduce the file size of your photos. 

Several posts in this thread with lots of helps.

I am the great grandson of Joe Wilmon. His uncle was HH Schweitzer. My aunt Philana Pace (Oliphant) is Joe Wilmons  granddaughter and has one of his saddles. Also the Time Magazine about HH Schweitzer and the Matador ranch. Any and all info is great to read about. 

On 12/22/2020 at 9:19 AM, TheSheyenne said:

The saddle is floral tooled with “LINN” carved into the back of the cantle and built on bags. 

Can you upload photos?  Notice you haven't been back since the day you posted.  Would be great to have more of your input here.

On 12/22/2020 at 10:19 AM, TheSheyenne said:

I’m only about 6years late to this post but I just acquired an HH Schweitzer saddle. I’m interested in learning more about. I have pictures but can’t download for some reason! The saddle is floral tooled with “LINN” carved into the back of the cantle and built on bags. 
Any info or help would be greatly appreciated! 
Thanks

Good morning! Sorry for the slow reply. LINN was built for J.B. Linn, Jr. 1949. We have started a Facebook group page for those wanting to learn and share stories about their Schweitzer saddles, please join us by searching on FB Schweitzer Saddle Matador. Be interesting to see if anyone has info about J.B. and can fill in more details for you! PS it sounds like you have the Poinsettia pattern. Would really like to see a picture of it!

On 2/27/2023 at 10:19 AM, Kevin33 said:

I am the great grandson of Joe Wilmon. His uncle was HH Schweitzer. My aunt Philana Pace (Oliphant) is Joe Wilmons  granddaughter and has one of his saddles. Also the Time Magazine about HH Schweitzer and the Matador ranch. Any and all info is great to read about. 

How neat is this! Kevin we would love to connect with you as would Mike Schweitzer who is also a grandson to HH. We can surely visit here, but can you please join us on Facebook? We have started a Facebook group page for those wanting to learn and share stories about their Schweitzer saddles, please join us by searching on facebook for Schweitzer Saddle Matador. When you join, please start a post so we can connect! 

13 hours ago, randymoss said:

How neat is this! Kevin we would love to connect with you as would Mike Schweitzer who is also a grandson to HH. We can surely visit here, but can you please join us on Facebook? We have started a Facebook group page for those wanting to learn and share stories about their Schweitzer saddles, please join us by searching on facebook for Schweitzer Saddle Matador. When you join, please start a post so we can connect! 

Don't be chasing away people from here for Facebook unless you're going to post everything here also.

8 hours ago, Burkhardt said:

Don't be chasing away people from here for Facebook unless you're going to post everything here also.

Agree and Will do! Thanks!

Just found this page! I just inherited a Schweitzer saddle and 2 C.W. Cannon saddles from my dad. They were so special to him and he was close friends with Cannon. I spent a ton of my time as a kid in Cannon’s work shop. My dad had a ranch not too far from there in Dickens. I know that Schweitzer mentored Cannon at some point in his early career. I’d love to know more about both of these guys if anyone cares to share. I know the few stories I heard over and over growing up (and the bit I remember about Cannon before he passed away) but looking to learn more so I can give these men justice when asked about the saddles. Thanks!