SpursNM

Cross Draw For Ruger 44 Mag

I have a customer who wants a cross draw holster for a Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag. He has already gotten a bullet holder and belt for it and I dont want to tell him that I cant make the holsster...But, this is the first time I have attempted a cross draw and I am lost..The gun is so top heavy it is going to take a lot to keep it in the holster, especially with the angle of a cross draw..I have searched this site for some guidance but cannot find anything that looks as if I can use it..especially since most posts show only the front of the holster and not the back..

any advise would be greatly appreciated..thanks

You don't say what style you are making. If it is something like the one below simply make your flap that you will use as the belt loop or skirt overly long. Select where you want to make the fold and the angle that you want the fold. Wet the area of the fold bend the flap behind the holster adjust to correct agle now trim the flap and fasten to holster via loop or adjustable strap or however you want. If you need more help or this is not clear PM me.

Scott

post-15001-0-75671100-1379006309_thumb.j

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/redcent69/Leather/009_zpsdea639f1.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/redcent69/Leather/011_zpse49b1b94.jpg

If you use a liner, cut holes in the liner and capture the chicgo screw female side. If you do not use a liner, cut a small rectangle of 4-5 ounce or better, puch holes, glue and sew on before you close the holster.

Most crossdraws do not use all that leather in the picture as seen in the above picture. You could stop halfway down the backside of the holster or less.

something like this?

post-5041-0-06151600-1379046875_thumb.jp

Another style in case he doesn't want a western style holster. Sorry I don't have a picture of the back.post-16984-0-86749300-1379064029_thumb.jpost-16984-0-23198600-1379064083_thumb.j

This is what I offer for folks who want a holster for a big hunting pistol....

This is what I offer for folks who want a holster for a big hunting pistol....

10-ounce, drum-dyed Hermann Oak leather lined with veg-tan kipskin.

Reinforce attachment loop. The photo below was for an x-frame S&W.

post-21933-0-61233400-1379076771_thumb.j

Thanks everyone for the info and the great pics.