KandB

Solid Brass Rivets And Glovesnaps - Suppliers?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a supplier for solid brass rivets - double capped, in a variety of sizes (both in brass finish and nickle-over-brass)

I'm also looking for the 10mm glove snaps Tandy sells - they got rid of a lot of their bulk packages, and the price for 10 snaps is ridiculous.

I've already checked Weaver (who surprisingly only seem to sell copper rivets and rhinestone ones), Brettuns Village, Zack White, Ohio Travel Bag, and a few others - but I'm having a hard time finding what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

I've found the glove snaps on alibaba.com, but my faith in them is pretty low since they are made of iron - which will likely rust.

If it helps - I have a business number and am eligible for wholesale pricing.

If anyone would be willing to share where they buy their rivets from (I have a rivet press, if that helps) I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Victoria

You want tubular rivets not solid brass. They would be brass rivets with chrome plate or nickle plate. Tubular rivets come with a cap available at extra cost they are not sold in sets and there are the speedy rivets also called rapid rivets they have two piece's sold together. I don't use to many glove snaps. Ohio Bag should have these rivets in their book.

I rechecked Ohio Travel Bag for the stuff you are looking for. On pages 11 through 17 are all kinds of rivets in brass and nickle plated brass plus the caps for the tubular rivets. Page 26 at the bottom of the page are the line 20 snaps they are just about 10 mm the add says they are 1\2". There is a supplier located in Ronks, Pa. that I have used for 7 or 8 years. They are amish they don't have computers thus no web site. They do have a catalog. Beiler's Manuf. Supply 3025 Harvest Drive Ronks, Pa. 17527. Phone is 717 768 0174. If you are interested. Hope this helps.

So, I have never checked their minimums on these particular items, but these guys are very helpful.

http://www.romefast.com/

They're the actual manufacturer, and they're made in the USA! They make quality stuff. I guess you're just up the road in BC Canada, but I'm sure you'd still rather deal with a US company than some outfit over in China. If what you want are regularly stocked items they will probably have reasonable minimums, and a pretty sweet price vs buying through middle men. That's been my experience thus far in talking to manufacturers.

http://www.romefast.com/SnapFastenersParallelSpringThreeEighthsInch.asp

Are the snaps you're looking for. 10mm is basically 3/8ths inch, so perhaps changing up that keyword will yield some better search results. I guess those would also amount to something like a line 16/17 snap (16 Ligne-9.5 mm 17 Ligne-10.5 mm).

Romefast has a wide selection of "kwik" or "speedy" rivets they make as well. Not sure on the type you're looking for from them, but they're "around". If you're truly looking for solid rivets (not tubular as suggested above) some of the hardware sites (like super industrial for builders etc) have a ridiculous selection of them in endless variations. You could try http://www.rivetsinstock.com/ or these guys http://www.indexfasteners.com/

When I emailed Romefast about other items I talked to the owner himself, and he was a really nice guy. Super helpful. Otherwise maybe try using those alternative names for the size of the snap I listed above. Hope some of that helps!

Thanks so much both of you!

I don't want tubular rivets - I use a Little Wonder rivet press, so I tend to go with double capped (sometimes single capped) rapid rivets. I have been using tandy's thus far but they don't have antiqued brass double capped.

I've contacted Romefast and he's sending me a catalogue - so hopefully he's got what I need as I agree, I'd definitely prefer an american manufacturer.

I tried indexfastner but to be honest I had trouble finding the type of rivets I want - I think they are more for fabrication in metal.

and @seattleleather - yup, I regularly ship to WA (point roberts) and go pick up there, since it's way cheaper than paying for the shipping in to Canada. When I'm in Seattle I always stop by MacPhersons but I don't have the patience to count out 1,000 snaps at a time!

Thanks again!

Victoria

Hi Victoria,

Awesome! I hope Romefast can do what you need!

Yea, I wasn't sure if you wanted truly "solid" (not hollow at all) rivets, which is why I posted those as well. They are oriented more for straight up industrial purposes, but they offer actual solid rivets in materials not frequently found offered by leather suppliers. Things like Stainless Steel, Solid Brass etc. You only ever seem to see truly solid rivets in copper from most leather places, otherwise it's tubular. So, not of use to you (but maybe someone else in the future will appreciate it!), but I think it would be a cool thing to use truly solid (for the extra strength) rivets at some point. Would need some hefty equipment for some materials though!

Since you are looking for the speedy/rapid/kwik rivet style perhaps Romefast can help ya there too! If not I have some other bookmarks that may be of use, so just repost to this thread and I can see what other good places I have!

That's a good strategy for the shipping! And yes MacPherson's leather is a pretty cool shop. I only went there for the first time not long ago, but it beat the heck out of what Tandy stocks, and I think is about the only other place around here.

Anyway, good luck and do let me know if you want more links... I'm a bit OCD in bookmarking places, so I have a lot!

Definitely won't complain about more links @Seattleleather - Post away!

Romefast is sending me samples so I'm excited to see what arrives.

And with Macphersons, if you tell them that you own a business they give you wholesale pricing - which usually means I am buying 5oz oil tan for $3.25/sq ft - and since I'm from Canada they don't even charge me tax!

Awesome! You should post your thoughts on the samples when they come in. I'm sure other people stumbling across this thread in the future will appreciate the info.

As far as more links, what did you have in mind? Same kind of products, or something different. I have too many to just list everything!

I know http://www.dotfasteners.com/index.html products are supposed to be really solid stuff, and they even offer most of their snaps in Stainless Steel, which is pretty awesome! Most of their snaps are still made in the US as well. I'd have to look through to find other rivet companies as I don't remember them all off the top of my head!

Did you receive the samples? What were your take on them?

I think Prym/Ykk can make them for you and so can Dot/Scovill, but they might be a bit expensive.

Did you receive the samples? What were your take on them?

I think Prym/Ykk can make them for you and so can Dot/Scovill, but they might be a bit expensive.

I did get the samples from Rome and was disappointed. It's like he didn't understand or listen to what I asked for at all. I asked for brass rivets - he sent me nickle plated. I asked for 10mm snaps like Tandy's Glove snaps (and sent a picture) - he sent me what I believe are segma snaps. His catalogue is printed in black and white and looks heavily photo copied, so it's hard to guess from the image whether he even has what I am after - and he doesn't reply to his emails. I'm looking elsewhere now. Seems some people refer to these as 'wire snaps' as well. I know they are not the same as segma, or 'universal' and I can't find anywhere that carries them - which is odd since they're so common!