artycpt

Two Color Double Loop Lacing

I know I have seen it explained around here somewhere but my ninja search skills are failing me.

does anybody have a good explanation for how to do a douple loop lacing with two different colors of lace woven together??

unless it's some tiny stitching on wallet 1/2 down FB page I don't see it.

it's not too diff, but try starting out with just alternating color laces, then change up to the double loop two color.

Hi artycpt,

try getting this book from Tandy: http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/61906-00.aspx

I believe it has a description of how to do two toned lacing. Tandy has a similar pamphlet that also covers lacing and I might be thinking of that one, but from the cover image on this one I think it's the one with the two tone lace description.

Bob

Also, there is a link on this site to a tutorial on how to do this: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=43384. I thought I had seen this somewhere here, just took a bit to find it.

Bob

Little ways off but if you are in Portland Saturday (tomorrow) and come in to Tandy to our club meeting I will show you how to do it.

Aaron

go to tandy leather website and pay the 10 bucks to view all videos. they have a video on how to 2 tone lace double loop. the only hard part is remembering how to finish it.

its real easy once you see it done.

go to tandy leather website and pay the 10 bucks to view all videos. they have a video on how to 2 tone lace double loop. the only hard part is remembering how to finish it.

its real easy once you see it done.

That Tandy video drove me absolutely nuts trying to duplicate what was shown, I swear George Hurst left a step out from the final video when it came to getting it started properly. After an hour of trying to get it started properly and failing again and again I asked my wife - a former professional costume designer who's work has appeared on broadway and in film - to watch the video and see if she could figure it out. She had no luck either. FInally I gave up on the video amd dug out a copy of tandy's very old 'Lacing and Stitching for Leathercraft' http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/books-patterns/lacing-braiding/61906-00.aspx and followed the instructions there. Five minutes later I was further along than I'd been after an hour with the video.

I am the other way. I have the book but could not figure out how to lace looking at the pictures. the video worked for me.

One thing that does help when doing 2 tone lace is to use lace that is have one lace shorter than the other about 8 to 10 inches.

this way when you need to splice in more lace you are not having to splice in both at same time and cause a big bump in the project.

Thanks for the input everybody. I think I found the technique now. Ended up finding some obscure youtube video (that I can find again but remember the process).

@electrathon: If I ever get the chance to head to Portland I will definitely try to meet up with you guys.

@electrathon: If I ever get the chance to head to Portland I will definitely try to meet up with you guys.

We are meeting every other week, you are welcome to attend any time you are in the area.

Are the two prong needles still the best thing to use when lacing? I haven't done lacing in a long time and the needles I have are kinda rusty and don't clamp on to the lace anymore...before I buy some new ones I want to make sure I'm buying the best thing out there.

Thanks!

Are the two prong needles still the best thing to use when lacing? I haven't done lacing in a long time and the needles I have are kinda rusty and don't clamp on to the lace anymore...before I buy some new ones I want to make sure I'm buying the best thing out there.

Thanks!

Those needles are worthless (just my opinion) unless you like your lace to fall off. Use the needles with a hole in them and one prong. http://springfieldleather.com/32433/Needle%2CLok-Eye-Lacing%2C-100pk/ I looked on Tandy's site and it looks like they are not there any more. These needles are easily 5 times less likely to fall off.

Aaron

Thanks Aaron, I'll give them a try.