DHauser

How Do You Keep Up With Your Projects?

I've got both a good (and bad) challenge and would like to ask those of us that do this professionally "just how do you keep up with your projects"? By that I mean what system do you use to manage all of the various "serious" inquiries that you receive? I've got a good website and am ranked on page one on Google so having customers want my work is not an issue. The issue is simply keeping up with all of it properly and timely. I do have large trays that I keep projects on in variouos stages of completion so anything I am physically working on stays in sight (and the shop cats but thats another challenge).

I'd like to hear comments from the group as to what system they use. Right now I am keeping serious enquiries in a note book that moves with me from the shop back to the house (my computer) and I keep all of my emails via IMAP, vs. POP so I can access them from any PC that I happen to be at at the moment. I also keep a white board in the shop which is now not apparently big enough.

Good problem to have but definately dont like delaying customers unecessarily. I figure right now Ive got about a 12 week lead time and it looks like its going up!

So... what you guys and girls think? Anybody have the "perfect" solution?

Dave

Dave I think this is an excellent question and one I'd like to know too because I'm so disorganized. My lead time is usually only a couple of weeks but I have a hard time keeping everything organized for my projects, and this wastes a lot of time. Which is more stressful making me more disorganized. It's a vicious cycle and one I've tried to work on for months now. So hopefully some people will have some ideas. Cheryl

I use email for all inquiries when possible and I have a label setup for messages that come to my business email - step one to keep them all highlighted and in my face. As they come in, I fill out a Google Doc's form that I setup with all the important information which then fills out a spreadsheet and lists the jobs in the order that they're received with due dates. By having it in Google Doc's form, I can pull it up on my phone, computer, laptop, day job, etc..... I also note that important information for each of the current jobs on a small notepad and hang the sheets on my wall above my bench for quick reference. As the orders are completed, I move them from the "Working" spreadsheet to another tab for "completed" orders so that I can reference them later, and I also then archive the associated emails - AFTER I know the order has been received.

This is a timely discussion!

I also have issues staying on top of everything. I do mostly custom work, and I receive inquiries on Etsy and through e-mail. Life has been hectic (husband had a couple of tachycardia episodes which can be scary) and occasionally an inquiry slips through the cracks. Just yesterday I had a potential customer email me saying they were "disappointed" with my "silence" when I didn't get back to her within a week with concept sketches.

I do this as a hobby and don't always want to or am able to write a response in the middle of dinner or while out grocery shopping. More pile up, and sometimes it gets overwhelming. I think dealing with customers can sometimes take as long or longer than the actual crafting time of their item, and that's a lot of typing!

The best method I can come up with for organization is to keep a white board in the craft room. This is where I record details of all the projects ordered (sorted by order date), and I'm able to get them out within 1-3 weeks. I've started writing down what I need to do for various inquiries, however, I need to actually get them ON the board for it to help.

I've been considering making my board public (on my website) so my customers and potential customers can see when they can expect to see a response. I haven't thought of any drawbacks in doing so, other than the effort it would take to keep it up to date. I would appreciate any comments on this.

Edited by lightingale

Cyber, that sounds like a great system. Well thought out. I have similar documents on my computer but not nearly as sophisticated as what you have. I'm not all that busy so I don't have to track lots of inquiries and work in progress, but I've been meaning to create a work order sheet to keep with each item I'm working on. The sheet will have details on it so I know exactly what steps the items has been through (applying resist, apply neatsfoot oil, etc.) so if I have to put it away for a while, I'll have notes as to where I was in the project when I pick it back up. It would also be helpful for filing away for later reference so I can remember what I did to a project as far as finishing, coloring, etc., if I need to go back and make something like it.

Right now all my enquiries about projects come through email or Etsy, so I keep track of those discussions electronically and archive them on the computer.

Bob

Good stuff gang! I do like Cybers. Say Cyber, how does it do for bunches of work? Anyone else? Im also thinking that we need the Forum Master to set up a section specifically

for "in the shop" stuff like this...

I'd be interested in seeing some other peoples forms that they use to take down orders. I've recently created one to start with but I'm already needing to change a few things. It's one of those living documents that will take a while to "get right". I just recently cleaned off some shelves in my work shop and have started to use small tubes to keep projects organized and together . It has been working well for me so far.

Here's what I've been using.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47078160/K%20Adventures%20Order%20Form.pdf

If you have gmail, it's pretty easy to setup. The main thing is to think about THOSE questions that you always ask every customer - that's what you need to have on your form. From there, when creating the form, it gives you the options to create a spreadsheet from the data. Technically, I can send the form to people and have them fill it out themselves, but that's a little to hands off for me and it's just easier for me to ask and then fill out the form the way I need it.

Something like what LostWolf posted is great and would work pretty well to convert that to a Google Form that populates a spreadsheet on the fields.

A lot of people are just fine with paper/white board too. Myself, I don't have a computer in my work area and MOST of my inquiries happen while I'm at my day job anyway. So for me it works out well so I can fill out the form while I'm at work and then pull up the data when I get to the shop.

Here's what I've been using.

https://dl.dropboxus... Order Form.pdf

How many people do you have taking Oders? (see line 5 down on the left side)

Usually myself but it could be my wife or someone else that maybe helping out for the day.

So, it's a cultural thing then? In MI, talkin on the phone about someone wanting leather stuff is called takin ODERS? AL-rightey then..

Some really good ideas on here and a few pointers ill take with me.

I like to think that I'm organised but in truth, I don't think I come close to many of you.

My work is bespoke so like many of you, a lot of time is spent talking about, designing and working out the fine details.

I have my work email which is a great help for keeping track.

I then invoice the customer.

Because I have the memory of a goldfish and the lead time can stretch to 6 weeks sometimes, I need a lot of detail when I begin.

I put all of this on the invoice, description, date ordered, due date, colour, leather, dimensions, specific requirements, hardware, etc.

I then work off the invoices. Old to the front, new to the back.

It's not modern, but it's in front of me. It helps when I have 6 belts to make and say 4 folios to find repeats and common tasks.

These then get done together, all the straps get cut, hardware gets put to one side for stock control and leather is ordered to suit.

I like the idea of the spreadsheet, but when I sit at the computer, I get diverted.

The invoice sheets just seem easier for me to juggle, plus it's good to give the customer an acurate description of what they are getting and I can attach any sketches or designs.

It's all electronic, so they are stored on the PC, I just print it off when the order is confirmed and add it to the clip.

What I need is an office manager, my girl does the accounts which is a tremendous help and she likes the detailed invoices because the detailed description matches up with the receipts so the books balance nicely, but she won't get involved with the orders due to the detail of costing.

I know it's possibly a little behind the times, but if it helps anyone, I'd be happy to show you an invoice.

Nige

I like the idea of the spreadsheet, but when I sit at the computer, I get diverted.

Me Too!! That's why I jot the important details on a notepad that gets hung above the desk as I'm working. Then if I need clarification I can either head to the computer or pull out my phone to look at the spreadsheet or emails.

So, it's a cultural thing then? In MI, talkin on the phone about someone wanting leather stuff is called takin ODERS? AL-rightey then..

If I did that I'd never take an order. I have a day job which doesn't allow me to take personal phone calls all day. By the time I get home from work, most of the world is asleep since I'm at the far left of the time zone. Besides, I can't go back and look up what details were discussed in a phone call. I'm not knocking the phone order system and at times I wish I were able to offer it, but it doesn't mean I care any less about customer service as I see people imply a lot of times. I've even seen people straight out say that they refuse to do business with anybody who doesn't list a phone number. I feel sorry for those people who are missing out. And, honestly with the way my life is, I can respond much quicker to an email than I can a phone call.

Sorry, I just realized I completely misunderstood your post as I'm multitasking...... :bike:

I noticed that "Oders" thing the other day and completely forgot about it.

Edited by Cyberthrasher

I am not as computer organized, I have a pretty detailed order blank that has room for alot of note taking and customer information. I fill out the detail work on them and keep it on a clip board by the bench. Then I take the basics of the order and put it on a white board. this way I have a running list of orders in the order they came easily visible. then as I proceed and need more info I can just grab the clip board. As orders are completed I then just file them in a binder

A suggestion for those of you who do take orders over the phone or in person: write up the details as you discussed it with the customer and then email it to them asking for confirmation. That way you have a written authorization from your customer stating what you are supposed to make. If there was any misunderstanding it can be ironed out before the project starts, not when you are delivering it. Also, it gives you a record if there is any disagreement when the item is delivered.

Bob

I design in a few programs (dependin'). Once it's a 'deal', I put it in Quicken, which creates an invoice, a 'start' date, a "tentative done" and a "actual done". Then a note in the Outlook calendar ,which comes up first thing in the morning. DUE date on the calendar, and any details i need are on the invoice.

That works well for about a 6-7 week cycle. Then I'll have like a whole day where I'm standing in the kitchen, cup in one hand, sugar spoon in the other, at the coffee pot counter, thinkiing .. "Okay, what was I gonna do in here again?"...

:rolleyes2: