zachhbc

Replicating A Leather Briefcase

CLC-BC-LG-CH-SLC01B-1900.jpg

I found this briefcase online and obviously, as a novice leather craftsman, I'd rather try my hand at it than spend that kind of money.

Does anyone know where I can find a similar pattern or provide some steps to reverse-engineer this?

Any help is appreciated!

Heres the link to the site - http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Classic-Briefcase?sc=8&category=301407

Edited by zachhbc

When I made mine I used a medium priority mail box as a pattern but left the flap natural http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?app=galleryℑ=17298 The hardest part about doing this will be putting it together in the right order. For example the shoulder protectors on before you affix the snaps to the should strap. Things like that. The handle is a simple design where they used a piece of leather sewn together in the middle after putting in on the D rings, then sewing the top piece on around that to hide the sewing. Sewing is strange, some you want to hide and some is decorative. The sewing detail on this bag is what will drive you nuts but you could make a perfectly good bag without all the decorative sewing. Write out a list of steps and check it over several times to make sure you have them in the right order. After the bag is cut, sew the back pocket on before you put it together. Sew the buckles on before you do the gusset....things like that are what's important. I hope this helps, Cheryl

How novice are you ?

Theres a lot of skill in a bag like that

How novice are you ?

Theres a lot of skill in a bag like that

Not so many that he will not have most of them learned by the time he's done make one.

Funny, my current project is actually duplicating another different one of this guy's bags for a friend of mine. Cheryl's already given you good advice, but I can point you to a pattern that may help you get started....

http://www.bighousedaddy.com/business_satchel.htm

or

http://www.bighousedaddy.com/attache_case.htm

The first one is more like the bag you want to duplicate but the price is higher and it's just the pattern, no instructions. The second one is only half the price and does come with extensive documentation - I bought a copy of it myself some time ago and found it helpful.

Best advice i could give, after having made 5 satchels, is just go for it!

Get your inspiration from others work, but forget patterns from other people and design your own. They are really not that difficult once you break down what you need....

....ie. A front panel, a back panel that folds over to create the front flap. A side piece that is one long continuous side/bottom/side. (You may want two of these if you make a bag with two compartments. Various straps for the buckles, handle etc. If you want to add outside pockets, they tend to be mini versions of the main bag.

Get some large thin cardboard sheets, and start drawing at actual scale. Cut the shapes out and use a stapler to fasten them along your proposed stitch lines....you will soon see if things are out of whack. Once you have a 3d cardboard bag that is a good representation of your bag, unpick the staples and you have a ready made cutting pattern.

All my bags were made this way, and if you look at the images in my gallery, you'll probably see enough detail to get an idea how i made everything.

Theres rarely such a thing as a completely new design, but you will feel much more satisfied if you are carrying a unique piece that you can honestly say is all your own work. Plus you will learn so much more than just following someone elses working out.

That a good looking bag - good luck with your own !!

and i agree with Cheryl - you need to prioritise the order in which things are assembled otherwise you will find yourself in a world of pain trying to attach things that should have been added earlier on!

adam

Edited by lightningad

As to the side piece what I assume you mean the gusset Instead of one long piece I like to use 3 shorter pieces sewn together. The end pieces being slightly fan shaped and with a shallow point on the end that gets sewn to the bottom piece. I feel this style makes it lay flatter when you don't have much stuff in the case if you do it this way.