rfkoen

Holding Items Together For Sewing

When I was hand sewing projects I would use contact cement to hold everything together while I punched holes and then completed the lacing. I'm guessing that the contact cement would not be good for a sewing machine and its needles. What is the best way to hold projects together while you are sewing? I'm sewing the veg tanned milled leather (a bit softer and 2-3 oz) with a standard 2-3 oz veg tanned leather. Thanks for any help you can provide!

I use seam tape from Springfield Leather. (Click here.) I'm sure you can probably find it locally at Joann's or similar. I have also used contact cement when in a bind. After it had completely dried I sewed two pieces of milled veg tan together (3oz) and it didn't seem to bother the needle or the machine and it did not leave a mess either, but I only did that once, not sure that would be a good idea to do on a continuous basis.

Karina

I use seam tape too and you just leave it. A little harder to get lined up for me than glue though :) Cheryl

I personally use contact cement on most vegtan projects and have no sewing machine problems. I just sand the excess glue off the outer edges. Dry glue will not stick to needle or leave a mess on your machine. Gump.

Sailrite sells a seam tape thats really strong. I use that and it works well. The problem is not none of that stuff holds very well when you're sewing grain to grain around a gusset corner. Glues just don't hold unless you sand the edges and the seam tapes hold ok but tend to come apart at the worse time

I'm currently awaiting a special hot melt glue roller from Japan to see if it will solve this problem.

Andrew

I use shoe tacks in the stitch line on hard to hold items pull them as I come to them. Easier stuff I use Barges. The really hard stuff I use both. Contact cement only stick to contact cement when dry so it won't bother a machine when dry.

Sometimes I use staples on the edges.

For edge seams, I use plastic spring clamps in different sizes (like used in woodworking) spaced every 4 to 6 inches, and remove them one at a time as they get near the needle. A little more time consuming, perhaps, but they seem to work pretty well.

Contact cement on this end. I have sewn items after only letting dry for an hour (on top of the 45 minutes initial set time before joining the pieces) and have had no problems after 100+ items. Contact cement has a strong affinity for the contact cement already on the leather and tends to easily peel off metal so my guess is that is why it doesn't stick to the needle.

Contact cement on everything. I don't sew much under a total of 4-5 ounce veg tan leather but with no problem. If the piece isn't too thick, say 10-12 ounce total, I sew after 20-30 minutes with no problem. I do use saddle soap w/glycerin in the lube pot and that may be whata is doing the trick.

Do you use tape on thick stuff, say putting together an 8-9 ounce with a 4-5 ounce?

Here's how I was taught.

If it gets sewed it gets glued and if it gets glued it gets sewed. I've never had any problem with the glue affecting my machines. I use weld wood contact.

Mike

Just a question to everyone on this thread. If you have to sew two pieces grain side to grain side (and then turn the pieces out after sewing), what do you do? Do you just use contact cement on the grain and hope it holds? In my experience, nothing puts a good hold on grain to grain.

Andrew

Just a question to everyone on this thread. If you have to sew two pieces grain side to grain side (and then turn the pieces out after sewing), what do you do? Do you just use contact cement on the grain and hope it holds? In my experience, nothing puts a good hold on grain to grain.

Andrew

I use double sided leather tape that I buy from Wawak Tailoring Supplies. It's sold in 1/4 and 1/2 inch width x 50 yards.

So I use double sides tape as well I get the 1/4" tape from Sailrite and it's pretty good. The only thing is doing corners of gussets. When the leather is going around a three dimensional curve it wants to push away and split off. The tape doesn't always hold it when the presser feet start exerting pressure. Any thoughts on that?

Andrew

So I use double sides tape as well I get the 1/4" tape from Sailrite and it's pretty good. The only thing is doing corners of gussets. When the leather is going around a three dimensional curve it wants to push away and split off. The tape doesn't always hold it when the presser feet start exerting pressure. Any thoughts on that?

Andrew

Heavy Neva Clog B-3/8 staples may hold the round corners in place. If you lack a Neva Clog stapler, a regular 3/8 to 1/2 inch heavy duty stapler can be used, but bend the prongs manually.

Hi Wiz,

Thanks for the suggestion. I bought a Neva clog on eBay and tried it out on a bag gusset corner. Worked like a charm. A real time and headache saver. Thanks for the tip.

Andrew