oxeyenyc

Servo Vs Clutch

So I have gotten two very different opinions regarding clutch vs servo motors--one person told me that in order to get a slow speed, a servo is necessary. Someone else told me that with a clutch, it is possible to get the machine to walk slowly with practice. I have come nowhere close to getting my clutch motor to walk!! (The disclaimer being that I am very new to industrial sewing, and the person who sold me the machine did demonstrate that she could get the machine to walk.)

Any opinions?

Edited by oxeyenyc

I've never used a clutch but my servo will walk with very little practice. Cheryl

Try quickly stomping on the pedal, the clutch motor will only give you one or two stitches that way. You will get the hang of doing it smooth and quick after a bit.

Servo motor easier to control and sew slow with.

Aaron

I've never used a clutch either. People have said that you can get a clutch to go slow "but" it requires a lot of practice. Servos have a lot more control.

On the other hand, make sure you ask about the servo you get. Some servos have this weird thing where it goes from very slow to very fast without much ramp up. It's caused by a design problem and can be fixed with a DIY fix but better to ask your dealer for a servo that doesn't do this.

Andrew

I sewed with clutch motors exclusively, from 1984 through 2009. I got my first servo, a SewPro 500GR, in the summer of 2009, replacing the clutch on my National walking foot machine. The only reason I did this was for easier foot control while sewing around the top of rifle slings.

I am able to feather any clutch down to one stitch per second, but holding my foot in that magic place for very many seconds is teejus