WVTriker

Basics Needed?

Okay, I stitched together my first project today (Zippo case from bighousedaddy.com pattern). I realize that I'm going to need to better supplies than an awl and more-or-less regular sewing needle if I'm going to do this comfortably and some what efficiently. So I am looking for suggestions as to the basic or a little more needed. I've yet to do any lacing but want to try that.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

God Bless,

Greg

Greg, here are the tools and supplies I use to hand-stitch:

* CS Osborne Awl

* Stitching needles

* Nylon thread

* #5 Overstitch wheel

* Freehand groover

* Adjustable groover

* The Art of Hand Sewing Leather (book)

* Super Glue (to lock the backstitches)

Reading the Hand Sewing book will really help your understanding of how these supplies work together to produce nice stitching.

Good luck! -Alex

Alex gave you a great start for a list, but I would like to put in my .02 here...

When it comes to stitching, get yourself some egg eye harness needles (also available from Tandy and C.S.Osborn) instead of regular stitching needles. I've tried the stitching needles, and I broke every single one (the eye always breaks) in no time flat. Harness needles are extremely tough. Just be aware that there are different sizes of harness needles, and the higher the number, the smaller the eye.

For something small like those zippo cases, it might look better if you used a smaller thread and smaller needles.

Here's a source for waxed linen thread just to get you started:

http://www.royalwoodltd.com/cat14-17ar.htm

You can get different weights of thread in tons of different colors, and you don't have to pay as much as if you were to buy a 1lb. ball of unwaxed thread from here:

http://campbell-bosworth.com/catalog/index...e2d4987195ad393

If you write to (email), or call C.S. Osborn, they will send you a catalog and a list of suppliers where you can purchase leather tools, including different sized harness needles.

Just tell them that you want a catalog for leather tools.

Here's what a harness needle looks like:

http://www.csosborne.com/no517.htm

Also, if you go through old posts in the "Sewing Leather" forum here on Leatherworker.net, you will find lots of useful information.

Enjoy your hobby!

Hilly

Thanks for the tips. I am waiting on a copy of the book mentioned as we speak. I plan to go through the older posts, too, as time allows.

On the Zippo case I used button and craft thread. I don't think it was the best choice but I had it on hand! LOL

The photo is really bad quality (cell phone camera) but you can get a vague idea how it turned out.

img048.jpg

post-7350-1221839893_thumb.jpg

And sharpen the heck out of your awl. It'll make things go much smoother. ;)

Marlon

Once I get a 'real' awl ;) , I'll make sure I do!