troy

Ok Got The Seat, What Should I Use To Weatherproof It?

Just finished this for a marauder, and once the kip dries I was thinking of coating it with aussie condioner (as its all I've got right now) but was wondering if their is something else that would proof it better.

cheers

Paul

post-182-0-05612200-1380212121_thumb.jpg

Well, NOTHING is going to weather PROOF it. Different products will offer better amounts of weather resistance though. Aussies is a conditioner and will eventually wear off. For the best resistance, you'll want a sealing finish underneath it. Resolene is one of the best choices. It's water resistant and also helps block UV rays, something that bikes are exposed to quite regularly. Aside from that, Neatlac/Clear-lac/Wyosheen would be a good choice, but don't offer quite as much protection in this case (from my experience). Once you have a base sealing coat, then you can add a wax based conditioner on top.

That is a great piece of leather work,

I was going to reccomend a few coats of Resoline myself but Cyber beat me to it.

It will provide a good base to apply polishes /conditioners to.

cheers for the advice - yo shadowryder, good the see theirs others in the UK doing this stuff. Noticed on your facebook the most recent photo of a green honda. On it you've (or whosever it is) has wrapped the exhaust. I'm currently re-vamping my marauder which needs this replaced - do you know where I can get it from or what its called.

cheers

Paul

Nice looking seat Paul.

I have my VTX pipes wrapped. Google "Black fiberglass header wrap". Make sure to get the silicon high temp paint to seal the wrap with.

I wished resolene didn,t have the unnatural

high gloss plastic like sheen. Is there a flat, satin resolean type product?

How are you applying it? usually that plastic look is due to a heavy application. The ultimate in "satin" resolene application will be through an airbrush. But, a proper 50/50 mixture will still look satin if applied in very light coats.

this is the one I just did with sprayed Resolene.

Iron Cross Custom Chopper Seat

Edited by Cyberthrasher

I had used air brush but didn't cut with water

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go on my next seat

Your seat looks TUFF

I had used air brush but didn't cut with water

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go on my next seat

Your seat looks TUFF

Thanks!!

For Resolene, ALWAYS cut it 50/50 with water, regardless of the application method, and be sure to use several light applications - again regardless of the application method.

?..The water doesn't weaken the sealing power of the Resolean as long as several coats are applied??

Nope. It's water based to begin with, as are most acrylics. If you're resisting, you'll want to use 4 - 5 light airbrush coats. Hand applications can be done with 3 or 4 light coats. Any finish should be built up in layers, regardless of the applications. 1 heavy coat of finish will still allow stuff through easier as it acts like a coffee filter at a microscopic layer due to the pores. But, several light coats built up to the same level will act like several coffee filters, staggering the pores and making it harder for stuff to find a way through.

cheers for the advice - yo shadowryder, good the see theirs others in the UK doing this stuff. Noticed on your facebook the most recent photo of a green honda. On it you've (or whosever it is) has wrapped the exhaust. I'm currently re-vamping my marauder which needs this replaced - do you know where I can get it from or what its called.

cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

This is the stuff you want mate,would advise painting the pipes 1st,then starting from the back soak the wrap then wrap it on good n tight,shrinks tighter when dry,fasten the ends with stainless ties.

Hope this helps,,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R3.TR3.TRC0.A0.Xblack+exhaust+wrap&_nkw=black+exhaust+wrap+15m&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Cyber, do you also spray the lace braiding right around to the rear of the seat? Nice seats guys.

There is a product made by Bee-Natural that you spray on. It is applied by completely covering the leather and as it dries a second coat makes sure all the leather is covered. When dry the leather returns to the natural color and water just beads up and runs off. The leather remains flexible and feels the same with no change in sheen.

I've often wondered how this would work for belts, wallets, motor cycle seats, etc. I think give it a try after the this holiday ordering rush.

Hope this helps.

Bob Stelmack

Cyber, do you also spray the lace braiding right around to the rear of the seat? Nice seats guys.

I do all of the dye and finish work before lacing, but after everything is molded up with zip ties. Once it's all done, I spray one more coat of Resolene top and bottom, including the lace. Lace is leather too and should have a finish on it if possible. I don't stress it since most lace has a light finish, but if I'm spraying already, I'd like to get that extra piece of mind out of the deal.

cheers everybody for the advise, have finally finished the wrapping shadowryder. Not as easy as it seems but alls done now.

Below is the carving I have decided upon for the pillion seat, not too sure if a passanger would apprepiate it, but hell if they trust my riding then probably they would.

post-182-0-86707200-1384695431_thumb.jpg

well thats both seats done, just still waiting for the bits from the painter guy - really really wanting to see it all together now.

post-182-0-11270100-1385810434_thumb.jpg

Nice seat.....the owner will have tons of blue sores on his inner thights due to that heavy lacing...haha....but seriously, very nice tooling....Nothing is really waterproof your seat, it is after all veg tan leather....Resolene will help it a bit for a while but you need to reaply soon after....but this is the beauty of these seats....they soon will look weathered and used....looking like they been 20 years on these scooters.....the beauty of it all !!

So dont worry to much about sealing it....tell ur customer to put on a good coat of Fiebings Aussie cream ever now and then....then ride the heck out of it...!!!

Excellent job my Frient....Keep going ...

Feels like years since starting the upgrade of my bike, but now the new seats are on, new paint job done, just gotta polish all my greasy finder marks off of the chrome....Sooo what do you think, do the seats suit this bike or not, I'm in two minds at the moment but I'm sure a summer of crusing will solve that .

marauder_1.jpg

marauder_2.jpg

post-182-0-53960600-1391445192_thumb.jpg

post-182-0-12287800-1391445243_thumb.jpg