MikeG

Anyone Using One Of These Leather Patchers?

I'm looking about at leather patching machines and ran across this "modern reproduction." Does anyone have any experience with it?

http://www.leatherpatcher.com/

Thanks for your opinions.

--Mike

I believe that I remember correctly, this machine is made in China of rather poor quality and the power to sew is with your hand and arm. :)

ferg

"Modern Reproduction" Do any part of that machine (If I can call it that) look Modern? It looks like something made before the invent of electricity.

I have seen those things all over Ebay and they have the nerve to want $300 dollars for it. (One seller is asking $475) I too am looking for a patcher and I have found many Singer 29K patchers online in the price range from $350-$600 within the last week but they all want the buyer to pick the machine up and unfortunately the locations have been a bit far from me, but as soon as I find one within driving distance I am definitely going to get it.

Not sure but maybe you are looking at the price, but you seriously need to think about more than that. What about support after you buy it, accessories, spare parts if it breaks? These things are being shipped from overseas, and no telling how long they have been in business or how long they will remain in business.

Save your money and buy a real machine. I wouldn't waste my money on it. JMHO.

Karina

unless you are a machine mechanic looking for a challenge stay away from this one.

We have an Australian member (Anne Bonnys Locker) who sells them. They are used on the streets in Vietnam for making and repairing shoes. One model is bigger than the other and can use heavy threads. You can get very cheap parts for them, It is a cheap alternative to an expensive Patcher. It is made of the Claes elastic pattern and is about the same age as the Adler class 30 and Singer cl.29K (and U). I think you will get some stitch length here for a cheap dollar. Alternatively, you can buy a used Singer with under 3 mm stitch length left for the same price.

You do not have to be a rocket scientist to change a part or two on this machine. It looks like simple solution, simple things are often the best.

Their feedback are not bad, Australians uses them to mend horse blankets. When you see them in use in the street in Asia, then they cannot be that bad If poor people take their changes on it, thats good enough proof of quality for me). I think there are different manufacturer of them, you can read about them here https://www.facebook.com/AnneBonnysLocker . Ask question to someone who have tried them before you make up your mind. personally I would take my changes on one, If I needed one. Its very cheap for a new machine, you can buy two.

Tor

Mike i just got a singer 29k51 on ebay for 199 got a new hook from TOLEDO IND MACHINE and it runs great!.

It is not a "reproduction", more a modern interpretation of the original shoe patcher redesigned to suit the third world.

Yes I ask $A295 for them but for that I assemble and test evey machine and make a number of modifications. I go to the lengths of making a timber base, a new bobbin winder, supplying my own instructions, two year replacement warranty, needles and tool kit and ongoing backup and support.

In three years (and nearly eight hundred machines) I have only had to replace about a dozen needle bar connectors - mostly for machine that were dropped - but it is a part originally designed for the Singer model 15 and still commercially available.

The whole point of the machine is that it is built for the third world where there is no backup or support. If you cannot figure out how to retime one of these babies then you probably should not own a sewing machine.

Darren

Anne Bonny's Locker

The home of

ABLE Sewing.

"Modern Reproduction" Do any part of that machine (If I can call it that) look Modern? It looks like something made before the invent of electricity.

I have seen those things all over Ebay and they have the nerve to want $300 dollars for it. (One seller is asking $475) I too am looking for a patcher and I have found many Singer 29K patchers online in the price range from $350-$600 within the last week but they all want the buyer to pick the machine up and unfortunately the locations have been a bit far from me, but as soon as I find one within driving distance I am definitely going to get it.

Not sure but maybe you are looking at the price, but you seriously need to think about more than that. What about support after you buy it, accessories, spare parts if it breaks? These things are being shipped from overseas, and no telling how long they have been in business or how long they will remain in business.

Save your money and buy a real machine. I wouldn't waste my money on it. JMHO.

Karina

Thanks Trox :thumbsup:

We have an Australian member (Anne Bonnys Locker) who sells them. They are used on the streets in Vietnam for making and repairing shoes. One model is bigger than the other and can use heavy threads. You can get very cheap parts for them, It is a cheap alternative to an expensive Patcher. It is made of the Claes elastic pattern and is about the same age as the Adler class 30 and Singer cl.29K (and U). I think you will get some stitch length here for a cheap dollar. Alternatively, you can buy a used Singer with under 3 mm stitch length left for the same price.

You do not have to be a rocket scientist to change a part or two on this machine. It looks like simple solution, simple things are often the best.

Their feedback are not bad, Australians uses them to mend horse blankets. When you see them in use in the street in Asia, then they cannot be that bad If poor people take their changes on it, thats good enough proof of quality for me). I think there are different manufacturer of them, you can read about them here https://www.facebook...nneBonnysLocker . Ask question to someone who have tried them before you make up your mind. personally I would take my changes on one, If I needed one. Its very cheap for a new machine, you can buy two.

Tor

Bullshit.

They are the simplest machine on the planet. Anyone who owns a screwdriver and a shifting spanner can fix this machine.

unless you are a machine mechanic looking for a challenge stay away from this one.

The old Singer 29K are very cheap where I live, it allot cheaper here because nobody asks for them. However, if you want one with more than 4 mm stitch length you must pay more. Check the stitch length before you buy one, under 3 mm. then its crap. Thats the simple test of quality, new condition 4,5 mm (or more on some models, like some new Adler class 30) Everybody need a patcher in his workshop, but its of no use to you if it cant match the stitch length needed on a repair. Small stitch length is nothing a new hook can fix. You must rebuild or shim up the whole head, its allot of work (or money, depended of method). So why not take a change at a cheap model instead. Darren also offers warranty, thats great stuff for that amount of money.

Tor

here is one possible design that these machines are based on.Simple,historical-tried and true action and look real easy to fix.

post-5246-0-07869000-1380535163_thumb.jp

I can get this for $300 (just have to pick it up)

post-32363-0-69043900-1380537172_thumb.j

or this for $299 (free shipping from Canada to the US)

post-32363-0-04081800-1380537186_thumb.j

or this for $495 (machine cost $295, plus $200 shipping from OZ to the US)

post-32363-0-00122000-1380537198_thumb.j

hummmm which one will I choose? I'm sorry guys, but for my money, it's the Singer all day. For those of you that have this machine and are happy with it, good for you! If you are happy with your purchase that's all that matters. To the seller that is having success with selling these units, and have hundreds of happy customers, I say congratulations on your success, and I wish you many, many more sales, but again for my money - it's the Singer all day, any day! ( JMHO.)

The original poster asked for opinions about a machine being sold by leatherpatchers.com, I gave my opinion of it. This is simply my opinion, others are free to do as they wish.

Karina

Karina,

I cannot see why you would chose anything but the Singer 29k as long is it is a 29k58 or later.

The Canadian seller stole my pictures of Fliker for his ebay ad and sells the machines as they arrive from China. I have dealt with them and roughly 1 in 3 works properly out of the box.

I am the ebay seller in Australia and I think you would be mad to pay $200 freight. TBH I would rather you bought the machine direct from China then bought a support package from me.

hummmm which one will I choose? I'm sorry guys, but for my money, it's the Singer all day. For those of you that have this machine and are happy with it, good for you! If you are happy with your purchase that's all that matters. To the seller that is having success with selling these units, and have hundreds of happy customers, I say congratulations on your success, and I wish you many, many more sales, but again for my money - it's the Singer all day, any day! ( JMHO.)

The original poster asked for opinions about a machine being sold by leatherpatchers.com, I gave my opinion of it. This is simply my opinion, others are free to do as they wish.

Karina

In Australia where postage costs 20 - 60 the machine makes sense. If you want to fix shoes then buy a 29k but if you want to put a patch in a 200kg tarpaulin then the 10kg ABLE290 is much easier to take to the job than dragging the job to the machine.

Horses for courses.

Karina

Spot on. These machines take the basic concept and have made it more portable. It is essentially built for the third world but will work in the west as long as the seller makes the necessary adjustments and modifications.

here is one possible design that these machines are based on.Simple,historical-tried and true action and look real easy to fix.

Karina,

I cannot see why you would chose anything but the Singer 29k as long is it is a 29k58 or later.

The Canadian seller stole my pictures of Fliker for his ebay ad and sells the machines as they arrive from China. I have dealt with them and roughly 1 in 3 works properly out of the box.

I am the ebay seller in Australia and I think you would be mad to pay $200 freight. TBH I would rather you bought the machine direct from China then bought a support package from me.

Trust me my previous comment wasn't intended as an affront to you, your machine, nor you business. Your understanding of why I would choose the Singer over your machine is immaterial to me, but in short I choose the Singer because it was my money that I was spending and the Singer was the better buy. I believe I stated that in my post and I quote "To the seller that is having success with selling these units, and have hundreds of happy customers, I say congratulations on your success, and I wish you many, many more sales, but again for my money - it's the Singer all day, any day! ( JMHO.)" I also went on to say "The original poster asked for opinions about a machine being sold by leatherpatchers.com, I gave my opinion of it. This is simply my opinion, others are free to do as they wish."

Also I wouldn't buy the machine from the China seller instead of supporting you, because I wouldn't buy that machine period! How about you read the full post next time.

Karina

Karina,

Think you did not read my post!

I supported your decision to buy the 29 because it was the best option for you.

Not sure why you feel the need to have a go at me. I simply gave the pros and cons of each option and threw in the possibility of buying direct from China.

I am not in the business of trying to sell product to people when it isn't the best thing for them.

Cannot understand your antagonistic reply

Karina,

Think you did not read my post!

I supported your decision to buy the 29 because it was the best option for you.

Not sure why you feel the need to have a go at me. I simply gave the pros and cons of each option and threw in the possibility of buying direct from China.

I am not in the business of trying to sell product to people when it isn't the best thing for them.

Cannot understand your antagonistic reply

You are absolutely right. I couldn't even tell you what I read when I commented, but now that I am fully awake, I see that I completely misread that post. Please except my apologies.

Karina

Karina,

Your apologies are fully accepted and I have to offer mine in return as I may have had a drink or too when I posted my last reply.

Take care and enjoy your 29k. If you need parts then contact Bob Kovar at Toledo as if he does not have it then it probably is not available.

You are absolutely right. I couldn't even tell you what I read when I commented, but now that I am fully awake, I see that I completely misread that post. Please except my apologies.

Karina

I have one of the Able 290's, bought at Steamfest last year. The only real issue I have is trying to figure out how to do larger items one-handed so I can actually turn the crank!

For the money it's a great machine. Sure, I'd like a cylinder bed with a walking foot but my budget is minimal and this does the job. Maybe not as well as the fancy machines, but it does do the job :)

I bought one of those machines to try it out.

I have a lot of modern and vintage machines in my shop. For the small repairs I use that one I have changed zippers and even made a few things on it, It does stitch good but it takes a few try's to get use to the hand crank in the position it is in. If you can't afford a 29k (if it's under $1000 either you got a good deal or something is wrong with it). Then get this one to hold you off. The guy I bought it from on eBay is knowledgable about this machine and will help you out. His email is evrosport@rogers.com

Hello, does anybody has a manual how to adjust the machine, I have had a chinese/english manual but it is not very detailled on problems with thread breaking by wrong hook/needle adjustment. For some reason the machine suddenly strated to break the upper thread when th hook grabs the upper threads. It more or less splices and ravels the thread. Help is appreciated. Thanks henk

First thing to try is swap out the needle. The 290 does not like blunt needles at all! I can tell straight away now when mine needs swapping, it'll do just that - cut the top thread.

Thank you!, I did that without success. The thread ravels when caught by the hook (looks like the sharp point cuts into the thread) I changed the needle, adjusted the needle depth, checked the shuttle bearer position (hi side facing the needle hole when the plate handle is vertical) etc etc.

Although I cannot get a finger behind my problem, it should not be not too difficult, the charm of the machine is it's simplicity but at this stage it is confusing me.

I have to say that this is by far the ugliest and most unprofessional looking and unfinished machine I ever have seen.

This is something I´d expect to see in a Chinese province, somewhere in the darkest Russia or in a development country but not in the western hemisphere. I hope it does not come from the same factory the other Chinese machines come from.

This thing seems to work but who honestly wants to have this thing in a professional looking shop?

Just my 2 cents - others may have a different opinion. Men, is this thing ugly!

This thing seems to work but who honestly wants to have this thing in a professional looking shop?

You give me $4k for a decent walking foot cylinder arm or post bed and I'll bin the 290! Until then I just have to use what I can afford. There's not much in the way of good machines here in oz, you use what you can afford and since I'm unemployed following redundancy a 290 is doable, a 'real' machine isn't.