MikeG

Anyone Using One Of These Leather Patchers?

True, but ugly cannot be the argument. It works and you find it all over Asia, check the YouTube links at a post above. It is more of less a third world basic copy of a Singer 29 and a Claes.

OK, I have one of these, bought it because my wife wanted me to buy her a purse from Kansas Saddlery, and to me, I just couldn't see spending $300 for a purse I could make, if I had a patcher. So even though I have both a Boss and a CB4500, I decided it made sense to spend the $300 on the machine, make the purse and have the patcher left over. Would I rather have a Singer 29K172, you bet, but; since I only use it once and a while, and it can be taken to a horse show and used out of the back of my truck easily, it just made sense. Now then, the quality of finish is not something I would brag about, but; it does work, and while I got a bag full of extra parts with it, I haven't had to use any of them yet. I have had it for a year and a half or so. Again, I don't use it much, but; when I get a pair of boots that need zippers put in, or something needs patching I am glad I have it. Some day I may upgrade to a nice singer, but; for now, that would be a luxury.

Bob

Hi Bob, do you have a non Chinese manual or instruction how to make the adjustments for smooth operation?

Hi,

The instruction manual does not include anything about adjustments but I think I know what your problem is.

Before starting any adjustments make sure the needle is correct and in the right way. The needle is a standard domestic 705, HAX1, 15X1 etc with a flat on the shank. The flat goes against the needle bar so the long groove is facing left and the scarf faces the body of the machine.

You need to be threading from the left to the right.

There are a few things to check

1/ make sure the needle is centered on the hole in the needle plate. If not there are three bolts under the bed to loosen off for adjustment.

2/ Sometimes there is a bur in the takeup leaver that can damage the thread.

3/ Check the position of the shuttle carrier. Open the needle plate, turn the handle clockwise until the needle hits bottom and the comes up a couple of mm. The 1/3rd moon shaped shuttle carrier should by up against the needle - two thirds to the front (handwheel side) and one third behind the needle. If not then remove the shuttle carrier and drop it into the correct position. The shuttle carrier lifts out and has a pinion on the bottom.

If all of the above is ok then it can only be the needle bar height.

4 Remove the shuttle but leave the shuttle carrier in place. Turn the handle clockwise as in step 3 but keep turning slowly until the needle is exposed. The top of the eye of the needle should be just level with or slightly below the flat surface of the shuttle carrier. If not then undo the screw facing you at the top of the needle bar adjust.

All of that should take 10-20 minutes.

Hi Bob, do you have a non Chinese manual or instruction how to make the adjustments for smooth operation?

Yes it is ugly! But it is also inexpensive and reliable.

It makes a great starter machine for newbies as it is also light and compact.

Many of my customers purchase these for repairing horse rugs and have moved up to more professional machines for leather.

Some upholsterers and auto trimmers buy them for those odd jobs that people turn up with every now and then. A 29k takes up a lot of space on a treadle and moving the head around when you need it is a pain (at 30kg - literally). A couple of guys leave it on the front counter as a talking point.

I think "factory" is too grandiose a term. More likely a cave somewhere :)

I have to say that this is by far the ugliest and most unprofessional looking and unfinished machine I ever have seen.

This is something I´d expect to see in a Chinese province, somewhere in the darkest Russia or in a development country but not in the western hemisphere. I hope it does not come from the same factory the other Chinese machines come from.

This thing seems to work but who honestly wants to have this thing in a professional looking shop?

Just my 2 cents - others may have a different opinion. Men, is this thing ugly!

Hello Darren, thank you very much for your extensive explanation and tips. Local time here is 01:45 AM so I will give it a try tomorrow. I have been browsing your facebook pages as you are very serious with the "ugly" machine. The simplicty amases and me and it all worked flawless.We might have used too thick leather and messed up some settings. Now it is a challenging puzzle that makes me more curious by the day. I let you know soon. Appreciated, thanks again! henk

Ah, yeah the needle bar height. Had that happen a few times. Completely forgot about that. I'm going to check mine today, been doing some work where it's struggled to get through and that can shift the bar.

Here's what I made with my 'Cranky Ba****d' ™ Able 290 (Yes, that's my nickname for it :P )

post-32405-0-12767300-1406856891_thumb.j

Nice work, Raven! Is that the pattern that was giving you fits a while back?

LOL yep, it's that pattern :P Came together ok in the end but man, it's not designed for ease of use!

LOL mate, I don't care what people call them as long as they buy them :cowboy:

Ah, yeah the needle bar height. Had that happen a few times. Completely forgot about that. I'm going to check mine today, been doing some work where it's struggled to get through and that can shift the bar.

Here's what I made with my 'Cranky Ba****d' ™ Able 290 (Yes, that's my nickname for it :P )

No problem mate,

I do my best to help people with the machines even when they buy from others.

Hello Darren, thank you very much for your extensive explanation and tips. Local time here is 01:45 AM so I will give it a try tomorrow. I have been browsing your facebook pages as you are very serious with the "ugly" machine. The simplicty amases and me and it all worked flawless.We might have used too thick leather and messed up some settings. Now it is a challenging puzzle that makes me more curious by the day. I let you know soon. Appreciated, thanks again! henk

Hi Darren, sorry to bother you again.

I carried out all you have written, the Huji is in that state now. Still, from time to time after a few stitches the wheel gives resistence, more or less blocks, when I go further the upper thread brakes, when I rotate back a little I can continue. The tread seems to tangle in the shuttle. What happens is that the thread got stuck between the shuttle (hook) and the wall. See my picture attached (if I did it right).

I find it difficult to determin if the upper side of the eye of the needle is level with the plate of the carrier, any tip?

Your experience is appreciated again, thanks Henkpost-54055-0-99218900-1407100992_thumb.j

A bit off guesswork can be required. Send the same pic with the needle just starting to rise.

Try threading the needle and with the bobbin out, turn the crank until the needle is at its lowest point. Take the thread and pull it gently to the side so that it is horizontal. That will tell you where the eye is located - if the thread has to bend over the side of the arm then it's below the plate.

post-54055-0-95104600-1407152021_thumb.jpost-54055-0-03834800-1407152025_thumb.jpost-54055-0-31421000-1407152029_thumb.j

Dear Raven and Darren, thank you for your help, are these pix clear enough and what you requested? Henk

Dear Raven and Darren,

I changed the Chinese needles for Smetz hardend needles (jeans needle) and it worked with the adjustments you gave me. I first took the machine apart to clean and lube it.

After checking the Chinese needles I found out that no needle had the same length and some of them even had the groove at the front. One of the needles from the package worded instandly and that made me curious to check the others. For now I first want to see where Smetz is going to get me. Thanks for your support, I let you know.

post-54055-0-79256100-1407441889_thumb.j

post-54055-0-88511100-1407441951_thumb.j

Should be "worked" and the brand name is Schmetz according to the package.

Glad you got it figured out mate :)

Crap needles are the bane of any sewing machine.

I am amazed that this machine could sew with twine of this size. Most patchers don't like anything over 92 bonded nylon. I have an Adler 30-10 that will use 138 on top, but its not happy about it. Gump.

great thread and very informative. One thing. I don't see anything that would account for adjusting stitch length. Is there any sort of mechanism that feeds the material through the machine or is it all by hand?

Adjust the stitch length with the screw identified with the arrow in the picture. Just a little adjustment makes a huge length change.

I'm still learning on mine but i've sewn just a little over 12oz with it playing around. Wouldn't expect it to hold up very long with that thickness though. I'll be keeping under 8oz total thickness from now on.

Running size 92 thread top and bottom and having no issues.

post-39990-0-69181900-1414694047_thumb.j

How did it react at the 12 oz? I'd like to get one of these and don't anticipate doing much more than the 8oz of leather you mentioned but every once in a while, I'd like to knock out a thick belt

It felt like it was putting a lot of pressure on the entire machine. had to spin the crank pretty hard to get it started and maintain the momentum. buried the needle to just at the point where the shaft starts to widen out as well. The presser foot also left pretty sharp impressions (light cuts) on the surface of the leather. I'm going to take it off and run a sanding wheel against the teeth with a dremel to smooth them over a little. I can do 2 layers fo 4/5 oz (which is closer to the thinner side) without feeling like I'm forcing it to do more than intended.

Still working a few small hiccups out....sometimes i get a loop sticking up on the needle side. not sure if it was a missed stitch or too much tension.

I double checked my thread and its 138 top and bottom. it pulls through just fine up to 10 oz after that you can't get the tension tight enough to pull the top thread back through to clean up the stitching on the back....its even but the bottom thread is clearly visible the whole length of the stitch. With a little smaller thread i believe up to and a little over 12 oz is doable. But I still think it's too much for the machine to handle.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll keep on saving for a Cowboy