MikeG

Anyone Using One Of These Leather Patchers?

I've recently bought this machine on car boot sale. Still in original box but there is no manual with it. Can anybody share the instructions for this machine or the manual in English.

The instructions with the machine are pretty ordinary so these are the ones I write. I also have parts and accessories listed and combine postage.

If you want a few things then let me know and I will do a discount for you

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/User-Manual-ABLE290-and-Chinese-shoe-Patchers-/221749677665?hash=item33a14f8e61

I've recently bought this machine on car boot sale. Still in original box but there is no manual with it. Can anybody share the instructions for this machine or the manual in English.

Thanks Darren. Just wondering is the stitch length variable? And is it possible to add a treadle to operate?

Stitch length is adjustable from 0-6mm using a screw in the frame - very simple.

I did build a treadle version but as the machine is so rough it wobbles and vibrates too much to be any use.

Thanks Darren. Just wondering is the stitch length variable? And is it possible to add a treadle to operate?

Has anyone had any success using linen thread on one of these? I picked one up to check it out. It stiches fine with #69 nylon, but I'd like to run Linen through it for some historical reproduction work. Thanks.

No standard machine will work properly with waxed thread.

A linen equivalent to 69 or maybe 92 should work

Hi,

The instruction manual does not include anything about adjustments but I think I know what your problem is.

Before starting any adjustments make sure the needle is correct and in the right way. The needle is a standard domestic 705, HAX1, 15X1 etc with a flat on the shank. The flat goes against the needle bar so the long groove is facing left and the scarf faces the body of the machine.

You need to be threading from the left to the right.

There are a few things to check

1/ make sure the needle is centered on the hole in the needle plate. If not there are three bolts under the bed to loosen off for adjustment.

2/ Sometimes there is a bur in the takeup leaver that can damage the thread.

3/ Check the position of the shuttle carrier. Open the needle plate, turn the handle clockwise until the needle hits bottom and the comes up a couple of mm. The 1/3rd moon shaped shuttle carrier should by up against the needle - two thirds to the front (handwheel side) and one third behind the needle. If not then remove the shuttle carrier and drop it into the correct position. The shuttle carrier lifts out and has a pinion on the bottom.

If all of the above is ok then it can only be the needle bar height.

4 Remove the shuttle but leave the shuttle carrier in place. Turn the handle clockwise as in step 3 but keep turning slowly until the needle is exposed. The top of the eye of the needle should be just level with or slightly below the flat surface of the shuttle carrier. If not then undo the screw facing you at the top of the needle bar adjust.

All of that should take 10-20 minutes.

Thank you Darren! This solved my issue perfectly. After two days of pulling my hair out it is now sewing. That time spent was not factored in to how much I thought I was spending on the machine but oh well. Cheers

Hi,

The instruction manual does not include anything about adjustments but I think I know what your problem is.

Before starting any adjustments make sure the needle is correct and in the right way. The needle is a standard domestic 705, HAX1, 15X1 etc with a flat on the shank. The flat goes against the needle bar so the long groove is facing left and the scarf faces the body of the machine.

You need to be threading from the left to the right.

There are a few things to check

1/ make sure the needle is centered on the hole in the needle plate. If not there are three bolts under the bed to loosen off for adjustment.

2/ Sometimes there is a bur in the takeup leaver that can damage the thread.

3/ Check the position of the shuttle carrier. Open the needle plate, turn the handle clockwise until the needle hits bottom and the comes up a couple of mm. The 1/3rd moon shaped shuttle carrier should by up against the needle - two thirds to the front (handwheel side) and one third behind the needle. If not then remove the shuttle carrier and drop it into the correct position. The shuttle carrier lifts out and has a pinion on the bottom.

If all of the above is ok then it can only be the needle bar height.

4 Remove the shuttle but leave the shuttle carrier in place. Turn the handle clockwise as in step 3 but keep turning slowly until the needle is exposed. The top of the eye of the needle should be just level with or slightly below the flat surface of the shuttle carrier. If not then undo the screw facing you at the top of the needle bar adjust.

All of that should take 10-20 minutes.

Thank you Darren! This solved my issue perfectly. After two days of pulling my hair out it is now sewing. That time spent was not factored in to how much I thought I was spending on the machine but oh well. Cheers

Hi guys.

I'm having lots of problems with my chinese boot patcher,

Despite the needle being inserted fully and correctly, it's breaking threads.

In addition, it's skipping most of the stitches.

Yes, it was threaded and set up correctly according to Darren's instruction booklet, so there's clearly a fault with the machine somewhere.

Any ideas?