jortuno

Juki 1541S Or Sailrite 111 Walking Foot, Which One?

Hi all,

I'm in the process of buying a compound Walking Foot sewing machine and was looking at either the Juki 1541S and the Sailrite 111.  I'm being offered an almost new and complete Sailrite 111 along with their MC-SCR motor for $875 (valued a little over $1,300 new). I'm also looking at a new Juki 1541S which is approximately $1,550 complete.  I plan on using the machines to sew bags made of Waxed canvas twill up to a 18oz which also incorporate leather with a maximum thickness of 3/8". I'm leaning toward the Sailrite simply because it seems to be a great deal. I have tried both machines and like the results of both. Are these machines a good choice for what I plan on using it for?

I would appreciate any feedback.   

Thank you

John

Go with the Juki, you won't regret it.

I just sold my Tac Sew T-111 which is the same machine as the Sailrite, after a year of use. It had never failed me but I have recently up graded to Juki's, 1508n and 2810-7. The Tac Sew class machine is more for the part time user, it's internal parts aren't as heavy duty as the Juki, so it all depends on what you want to do with the machine and how deep you want to get into this hobby.

With the MCR servo motor the Sailrite should be an easy to use machine with lots of power.

It's all about decisions.

Scott

I would go with the Juki it's more of a heavy duty machine but the motor on that sail rite is nice now that's a true servo motor in my opinion.

Ralph

I have seven machines and each one has it's own purpose.

Landis #3 needle awl machine sew leather up to 7/8" and uses 415 thread used on saddles

Singer 97-10 cylinder machine sews leather or nylon up to 1" and uses up to 415 thread used on saddles and thick nylon slings

Singer 7-33 Flat bed sews nylon or leather up to 3/4" up to 415 thread. used to repair horse blankets.

Singer 111w155 set up with 138 polyester thread used for upholstery and boat covers

Juki LU562 up to 138 thread used on chaps and mid-weight leather

Singer 31-15 set up with roller foot and 69/92 thread light leather and intricate sewing

Singer 29K4 Patch machine used to sew patches

You can't expect one machine to do everything.

Thanks for all your help guys. I lost the opportunity to buy the Sailrite 111 so now I have a question about a good servo motor because the one I was quoted with the Juki is a servo 110 550 watt FESM 550s variable speed. What is your opinion on this motor or should I just get the juki and table for $1,400 and get a servo motor elsewhere? I need a servo that can be slowed down where i can sew one stitch at a time if need be but one that doesn't loose power/torque.

- Thank you

Go to the dealer selling the Juki and try out the machine. Then you'll know if the servo in it will sew as slowly as you want. If it doesn't, the Family Sew servo that is sold by Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines and Keystone Sewing, among others, does slow waaaaaay down. It has a multi-position rotary switch on the front, limiting the top speed from very fast, down to about 350 RPM. You will want one that has a 2.25" pulley, rather than the standard 70mm that are normally on them.

A 200 minimum RPM motor may or may not have a smooth transition from off to 200. Some go directly from zero to 200, with a jerk. This would not be the motor you want. The Family Sew and Toledo SewSlow (formerly known as SewPro 500GR) servo motors have very long tapers from off to on. They both can turn over at a few RPMs.

What really counts is the total pulley reduction between the motor shaft and machine flywheel. If you have a 2 inch motor pulley and a 4 inch machine pulley, the top speed is cut in half and the torque is doubled. A leather sewing machine doesn't need to sew any faster than 600 RPM, or 10 stitches per second. This would be into soft leather, not belts. I usually sew belts at about 5 stitches per second, or 300 RPM, on the straight-aways. But, I slow down to one or two per second around the back and the tip.

The tougher and thicker the leather, the slower the needle should move. I sew really thick holsters at one stitch per second or less.

Wiscrafts,

I'm going to test the machine out on Wed. If the transition from 0 to 200 is not smooth then I'll be opting out of that servo motor and instead will purchase one of the suggested models

Are these the servo motors you're talking of?

http://atlaslevy.3dcartstores.com/Family-Electronic-Servo-Motor-FESM-550N_p_597.html

http://store.keysew.com/family-fesm-550n

-Thanks

I just sold my Tac Sew T-111 which is the same machine as the Sailrite, after a year of use. It had never failed me but I have recently up graded to Juki's, 1508n and 2810-7. The Tac Sew class machine is more for the part time user, it's internal parts aren't as heavy duty as the Juki, so it all depends on what you want to do with the machine and how deep you want to get into this hobby.

With the MCR servo motor the Sailrite should be an easy to use machine with lots of power.

It's all about decisions.

Scott

I know this is an old thread, but how do you like your Juki 2810-7, Scott?

How do you find it manages the differences in thicknesses? You've had it for almost 3 years now, how is the thread cutter holding up? How does it compare to your 1508?

thanks