tnawrot2

Consew Clutch Motor

I have a Singer 7-33 with a Consew 3/4 horsepower 1725 RPM clutch motor. The engagement arm is very stiff going down and won't return. Is there any adjustment I can do? I can't find any instruction on the internet. It's an old motor, there is a spring on a rod with a wing nut on the end, adjustment doesn't help.

You could probably use some lube where the clutch shaft slides through the motor housing. It's common for that to get dry and sticky. Some of those motors have oil cups (like the older singers) and some don't. When I service clutches, I usually give that area a good coat of white lithium grease. I would also disconnect the pittman rod from the pedal to make sure the pedal itself isn't sticking.

Regards, Eric

Edited by gottaknow

Thanks Eric, I was hoping you would see this and respond. I will grease it tomorrow.

If this is a Consew 'Premier II' 3/4 HP clutch motor, I know EXACTLY the problem, and it's not what many would think; they had some damn heavy grease/glue, new out of the box, that was, well, wrong with the clutch sleeve. It would stick like glue and not allow the clutch arm to return properly.

I'll get right into it, since I have done dozens of these, follow by the numbers, hope this helps.

Click image to enlarge.

ConsewClutchMotorRepair.jpg

I feel your pain, and it took me a bit of head scratching to finally figure out what was going on. This was about five years or maybe a bit more these motors were new out of the box with these problems.

Hope this helps, I am pretty sure you be up and running after this fix.

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

Greg, you are a life saver, I didn't have that exact clutch motor, but basically I followed the schematic. You are so right about the grease, I think they mixed it with glue. A wire brush wouldn't touch it, I had to take a small screwdriver and scrape it out. Replace it with white lithium grease and it works like a charm. Thanks again.

Greg, you are a life saver, I didn't have that exact clutch motor, but basically I followed the schematic. You are so right about the grease, I think they mixed it with glue. A wire brush wouldn't touch it, I had to take a small screwdriver and scrape it out. Replace it with white lithium grease and it works like a charm. Thanks again.

Excellent, glad to help.

Even the bulletproof Amco motors eventually have this issue. Which is what I suspected was the problem. For future reference I also use the same white lithium and work a thin cost onto the cork face of the clutch disc. Make the clutch work smoother and last longer.

Regards, Eric

Hi ! I have an old Juki DDL-555-4 , it was a servo auto clutch motor , the servo box is defect. and i can' t find it ,the motor is like brand new ,there is 2 rubber disks in the clutch ,i have removed all eletronics on my sewing machine ...Can i fit an ordinary clutch on this motor ?

post-46397-0-49049200-1383119965_thumb.j

post-46397-0-65861000-1383119968_thumb.j

post-46397-0-21809300-1383119972_thumb.j

post-46397-0-85093600-1383119991_thumb.j

post-46397-0-94759900-1383120010_thumb.j

post-46397-0-10452800-1383120053_thumb.j

post-46397-0-82174400-1383120054_thumb.j

Edited by photopigiste

Yes, you can. We have ripped off dozens of motors from electronic under bed trimmer machines that were in the 30 year old range. The Juki DDL-555 was always a great model.

Very helpful thanks

Does this work with all motors lads

On 10/1/2013 at 7:25 AM, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

If this is a Consew 'Premier II' 3/4 HP clutch motor, I know EXACTLY the problem, and it's not what many would think; they had some damn heavy grease/glue, new out of the box, that was, well, wrong with the clutch sleeve. It would stick like glue and not allow the clutch arm to return properly.

I'll get right into it, since I have done dozens of these, follow by the numbers, hope this helps.

Click image to enlarge.

ConsewClutchMotorRepair.jpg

Gregg, I know this is an old post. Even so, I wanted to say Thank You! This will help me a bunch since I'm going to work on my old clutch moto.

Much appreciated!

Edited by suzelle
I can see .jpg now. :)

Suzelle, just to let you know, Gregg passed away last year. Huge loss to the sewing machine business. 

1 hour ago, Hockeymender said:

Suzelle, just to let you know, Gregg passed away last year. Huge loss to the sewing machine business. 

Joe, thank you for letting me know that. What a wealth of knowledge he left for all. I agree, huge loss.

Have a wonderful day Joe!

On 9/30/2013 at 6:46 PM, gottaknow said:

You could probably use some lube where the clutch shaft slides through the motor housing. It's common for that to get dry and sticky. Some of those motors have oil cups (like the older singers) and some don't. When I service clutches, I usually give that area a good coat of white lithium grease. I would also disconnect the pittman rod from the pedal to make sure the pedal itself isn't sticking.

Regards, Eric

Thanks for this info Eric!!! I am working on tuning up an old Consew 255 RB machine. I think it is probably 40 years old. Guessing on age and model, as it is missing it's label on front with model #.

I got my can of grease out (for my SWF Embroidery machines) and lubed the shaft to the motor, also loosened bolts on the pitman rod and pedal and cleaned/oiled there. Also, found there were some parts in foot pedal that were put in the wrong position, and made the straightest path I could from the pedal to the rod, and to the motor. This made my pedal operate so smoothly that I'm probably not going to take the next step, which was to put a smaller pulley in. I'm pretty happy now. Much safer too! Before these adjustments, she took of like a crazy wild horse. Now she trots like a well trained little pony, lol.

Edited by suzelle
spelling