Constabulary

Singer 269W Bar Tacker

I need some help with a Singer 269W bar tacker.

I´m able to get one for a good price but it does not sew the pattern I need. Is there a way to convert it to a different tack patterns? I assume they work with some kind of replaceable pattern plates (or how are they called), right?

It's possible to change the cams on both machines. Depending on what you want to do, you may need to change the clamp and plate as well. The cam on the Singer is on the bottom and is on a verticle shaft. The cam on the Juki is on the right side of the machine head and is on a horizontal shaft. Changing the cam on either of these machines is not for a beginer or even someone who's accomplished with more mainstream industrials. They are in a class by themselves as far as adjusting and maintaining. There is a company called Camtron that makes replacement cams for both machines. Not to be confused with Camatron which is a company that makes bartack clones. I haven't ordered any cams for several years, but last I did Camtron was in the Dallas, TX area. Keep in mind the cam on the machine not only controls the pattern, but also all the other parts of the bartack cycle, include clamp behavior and the knife system. It's possible to do permanant damage if you attempt to change the cam on either machine unless you know exactly what you're doing. I earn my keep so to speak keeping all of our bartacks running.

Depending on what it is you're trying to do, you may want to check out a programmable bartack. I love the Brother unit I have. I'm currently using it to attach elastic to suede on the welding jackets we're making using a box-x pattern.. Juki also makes a bartack, the LK1900 which is older than the brother but has a nice variety of patterns. I would contact a dealer for either the Brother or Juki. I have both machines and prefer the Brother. I also have Juki 980's, 982's, 1852's as well as the 1900. I have probably 12 Singer 269's that we still use to do various things. What pattern or type of tack do you need to have?

Regards, Eric

I certainly don't speak for Robert at Camatron, but I know he would tell you the same thing (because Robert and I have had discussions about these machines, the Singer 269W specifically); LK-980 and certainly Singer 269W machines are dead as a door nail as far as new conversions go.

Nobody USA is going to convert a 269W or Juki LK-980 from one cam to another; if you have for example a bar tacker or converted machine to do the specific application, or one that you can at least use, your in the clear, and even with that, I would not spend more than a few hundred bucks. Parts and service could be a tall order as well.

Hope this helps.

Parts are readily available for the 269's and the older Juki's. I still change cams when I have to. The Juki's don't take that long.

Regards, Eric

either machine would cots me about 200€ but not set up for what I`m thinking of. I would like to sew 16mm wide tacks with 2.5mm hight with about 52-56 stitches. I don´t want to spend toooo much money as It more a hobby that a job.

How much would it be to put a new cam into the Juki?

A Juki 980 or a 984 with a common 42 stitch cam should work fine if you're talking about a 16mm long tack by 2-3mm wide. The clamp for that is pretty standard as well. That's the standard tack size for back pockets on jeans.

Regards, Eric

I need some quite dense stitched tacks so that why I ask.

It´s a certain tack I need not just a technical tack. I will post pictures soon.

I´m not sure but I think this tack has more than 42 stitches. So this is what i "wish" to produce with a bat bar tacker...

post-31854-0-05005900-1381736771_thumb.j

post-31854-0-00127700-1381736778_thumb.j

Ewww...fiberglass / steel pot USGI chin straps...Can't say I miss wearing those! :)

Good luck...

Edited by TXAG

Now that I see what you want, I'd keep my eyes open for a used zigzag machine.

Regards, Eric

A Juki 980 or a 984 with a common 42 stitch cam should work fine if you're talking about a 16mm long tack by 2-3mm wide. The clamp for that is pretty standard as well. That's the standard tack size for back pockets on jeans.

Regards, Eric

Despite it's age, would the LK-980 still be a suitable machine for a light production environment? I know it is a little older, but I can pick one up (with table and motor) for about $800. I would just want to make sure I can get replacement parts so that I can keep it maintained.

Also, in addition to bartacking pockets would this be suitable for belt loops as well?

Both the 980 and 984 Juki's are good tackers. I have no problem buying parts at all. 42 stitch is too much for a belt loop. With a 28 you could do both. We use both models 40 hours a week on belt loops and pockets. To run smooth you have to keep them a bit over oiled and sharp needles. I like them just fine.

Regards, Eric

Thanks for the reply. I only ask about the belt loops because I have a couple of jeans that appear to have about 40+ stitches on the loop itself. I suppose it could be overdone though. And maybe the manufacturers really think they need those extra stitches to keep the belt loop on!

Now that I see what you want, I'd keep my eyes open for a used zigzag machine.

Regards, Eric

Right, thats how I did it some times but I thought a bar tacker would do a better job.

I'm a little late to this topic but I have recently went down the bartacker road.

This Spring I picked up a Used Juki 980, 42 stitch tacker with a standard clamp, and an adjustable stitch width from 8-16mm. It was in such great shape I just couldn't pass it up.

I quickly realized that for my work I needed a 20-22mm stitch, so I called Camatron and asked about re-caming the machine. I forget the exact numbers but it was around $1,000 for the parts alone and around $1900 if I sent in my machine to him for installation. He did not recommend spending that kind of money on that machine but suggested an electronic bartacker.

A few weeks ago I received my new/used Juki 1900AHS bartacker with North/South feet, giving me the ability to pick from 28-56 stitch tack that can be scaled from 20mm. I sold the 980 machine, and will never look back, I build Military type gear and this machine is a perfect fit in my small shop.

The stitch you posted looks real similar to the 42 stitch bartack of the Juki.

Scott

I've got a 1900 as well and it's one of my most used tackers. Good machine.

Regards, Eric

Hello,

This is an old topic but I have bar tacker questions. Maybe I should start a new thread but am trying to decide between vintage bar tackers.

We have been building and setting up for a jeans business for years now but we also have heavy hitters like our Cowboy cb4500. 

We only have 1 bartack machine which is a Juki LK1900BHS.  I have purchased equipment enough for 3 production lines with one exception and that is the bartack machines. 

I've decided to go vintage and not new and get more bartack machines.  A gentleman (who has passed away) warned me the Juki 1850's have a hard time sewing thick materials when they begin to get worn (if I remember his conversation correctly from 3 years ago).  Another mechanic tells me the old Singers (269w) have no problems with thick stuff even when worn.  I've been told parts are around for the 269w but when I look on that popular auction site  I only see shuttle drivers, bobbin cases, and bobbins.  Another gent has told me the 1850's are going cheap so I did a parts search and see allot of parts for this machine but am worried about wear and sewing multiple layers of denim or canvas (the other material we work with at 15oz material). 

I've heard about a german made 469 (I thought they were all "U's") and don't know differences between 369/469/269 but there may also be a 469 available.  The one gent talks about an old black 69 in one shop that likely is for sale.  The 69 is cool for bespoke denim shop pictures with blogs/vlogs but would only see the lightest use so it would sit with our other very vintage Singers and Union Specials mostly.  Then there old Brother tackers available.

I'm messaging because I'm lost in all the details for this.  I'd like to buy a 269w but I'm just not sure if this is the right choice and I'm misunderstanding the used Brother and 1850's.

We have a master mechanic here who has worked with 269w's when he was 18yr old (he is 45 now) and said soon after everyone went to Juki.   Basically, I'd like to get a 2nd and a 3rd machine for the other production line capability but don't have the money to buy another new until profit justifies/allows this and need to focus available resources into expansion.

Maybe I'm really off the mark and mistakenly believing the 269w is a "horse" work machine and should buy an 1850 or old Brother if they are easily available.  Spare parts are a main concern as well.

many thanks and best regards,

Mike Kendall