raysouth

Being Kicked By Tandy ?

WOW !!! The topic of Tandy booting out the guilds, non kit displays, and no longer permitting non-kit items to be made in their stores, seems to be happening throughout the country.

Just called the B'ham store in Alabama and nothing seems to have changed there and guild still meeting last saturday of the month.

May catch up to them soon, if this is indeed the direction that Tandy is heading.

I am not in an area that is close enough to a Tandy store so not able to participate in the guild activities. I do not think that guilds having to meet elsewhere will have much bearing on Tandy business but not a friendly way to do business.

The kit aspect is not something that I would expect to make the business grow. The advancement beyond the kit stage is something that they should consider as nearly everyone moves beyong the kit stage as they progress. My opinion.

Classes going to be conducted and if so, pertaining to kits only? No more tips or advanced methods allowed? Not good, if that is their plan.

Will these changes be good for the independent shops? No idea, but their should be some niche they could fill. I believe that shops such as Springfield leather could handle any changes Tandy may make. Time will tell.

Hope this issue does not cause the craft to lose some future crafters. Just have to find them and direct them to this great site.

Would be great to hear what other Tandy stores have on tap for moves such as we are reading about on the net.

God Bless.

Ray

Interesting move on their part if they want to go out of business... The local Tandy here has not heard anything about this... and their "classes" consist of "bring in what ever you want to work on or have questions about", they don't do "structured kit classes" because they found that there is no interest for that in this area. As a result they end up with 10-20 people hanging out working on various projects and getting a lot of input from everybody, plus their sales of tools, supplies, etc... during this time, is exponentially higher on those days! Seems to me the rest of Tandy should be using this as a model to expand interest rather than limit their potential.

Makes me want to start a leather guild in my area even more now...

I guess Springfield and others will be getting more of my $$$ in the future. I sometimes stopped by the Houston Tandy store when I was in the area to pick up items I needed soon, but I guess I will forgo that now.

This is very interesting, that means that if someone did buy some of their leather and made a holster from it they wouldn't allow it. Seems a very strange move if it is happening. My local store doesn't seem to have any of this going on, but I only get in there every other month or so when in town. Chief

Our guild was booted from our Wednesday evening meetings. We were told that it was an insurance coverage issue since we met after regular business hours.

Sounds like a decision from a rather slow district manager.

When I was a Tandy manager in the 90s I kept the coffee fresh and encouraged the guild members to hang out at the back table. Someone would come in and need lessons on a tool, and i could say, "Hey, Mike, will you show..." and the guild member was pleased to be asked, the customer learned what he needed to know and sometimes new friendships were born. Meanwhile it freed me up to help other customers. We were not allowed to have any of the trade magazines in the stores. Rumor was that Tandy was afraid the customers would discover there were other suppliers. Now I see they advertise in the same magazines. Wonder if they allow them in the stores now?

Been off line for quite a while, old computer had to be put down! Finally got a new one. About Tandy, this seems to be another one of those trends that they are following . I don't use them much any more, and haven't for quite some time, mostly because of the drop in service, product, quality and all the other things that have been mentioned here. Guess it is just a sign of the times. Sad, but; we will just have to adapt, as we always have. Thank god for all the others that make and sell supplies for our needs. Bob

If Tandy could do one thing to grow their business, I think they should focus on community development. On the small scale, helping leather workers develop can only increase sales. The more skilled a leather worker becomes the more likely they are to purchase tools that rise in cost as their work increases in complexity. Maybe some community outreach, or partnering with different sites or organizations.

Here in Canada we have a "One of a Kind" show twice a year where artisans can sell their goods. Perhaps the company could rent a booth and promote their local leather artisans, as well as selling kits, doing demo's and getting young people interested in taking up the craft. I think in the modern age of social media a company of this size needs to start connecting more to their customer and fostering growth for the industry as a whole.

I also get the sense that they spend more effort trying to sell people their branded stock, instead of selling the best tools you can buy. I thought they'd have a bit more range. I can understand that offering affordable tools is absolutely necessary (I've easily spent $800 on tools and leather to just get started), but certainly some top quality items might be a good option. I could see them offering more dye brands, more thread choices (more colours than just black, brown and white), and perhaps partnering with an industrial sewing machine company. It seems that most artisans eventually out-grow Tandy and order elsewhere.

Tandy's focus seems narrow, and targeted at one or two specific audiences, with a mostly Western outlook on leather goods. I personally am really interested in the work of men like Peter Nitz, who do "European" (not sure if that's the right name for it) leather goods. There's lots of talk on these forums from people who want to create this style of work and end up spending a lot money ordering tools from Europe, the money that Tandy could be making if they offered it up.

All that said, i'm glad Tandy is around. Without it, I wouldn't be on here writing this.

I've said this before and I'll post it here. Tandy is going hobby store. Tandy seems to have two major revenue sources they focus on, the bigger institutions that buy in volume, and the weekend hobbiests that will buy the marked up retail kits. Those of us in the middle, the bigger hobbiests and the one man and a dog shops, I guess to them seem like too much work for the return.

I live too far from my tandy store to get there more than 4-5 times a year. The last time I was in I asked about these issues people are having. The store manager said they did do away with the structured classes, but are happy to do one-on-one teaching. Since I am fairly new to the hobby/craft I took their tooling class. It was a good experience. I have always had good things happen at this store. They are always happy to take my money and I am happy with what I have gotten. I may just not know any better.

If Tandy could do one thing to grow their business, I think they should focus on community development.

well now there's the rub - they don't care about you or your community. A little background - Tandy is NOT Tandy. They are The Leather Factory started by daddy Thompson and Ron Morgan who are now retired and who have sold most of their stock.

Little Jr. Thompson is now in charge but he is NOT a majority stock owner and has never had a real job except for working for daddy and doesn't do leather himself. All he knows is that he has to get the stock prices up so he can get his bonus. That is his main concern. That and making sure someone doesn't buy up enough stock to kick him out. So as long as they can make money by hook or by crook, they will. They expect you to fall in line and pay what they ask. The mgt. in charge right now are some arrogant SOBs. They are making some of the mistake the OLD Tandy made that led up to thier demise. Expect Leather Factory be be 'demised' some day in the future, because whoever does eventually take them over will break it up in a bad way.

Here in Canada we have a "One of a Kind" show twice a year where artisans can sell their goods. Perhaps the company could rent a booth and promote their local leather artisans, as well as selling kits, doing demo's and getting young people interested in taking up the craft. I think in the modern age of social media a company of this size needs to start connecting more to their customer and fostering growth for the industry as a whole.

So I found out yesterday that my local Tandy is actually going to do this at a local creative fair. They're planning on selling kits at far below usual retail cost. I like the idea of it, but they should also be giving people the heads up that they need to purchase more tools to than what are included in the kits into order to complete the work as it's shown on the box covers. Ie. Dye's, dye applicators, finishes, any colored stains, etc. It can easily add $60-100 to the actual price. Nothing would be worse than for a kid to spend his allowance on a kit only to find out he can't really complete until he gets more cash.

I have to say that selling leather working supplies must be a tough business. The tools are so costly that just getting into it as a hobby can be a very expensive venture. It's tough getting a younger generation into it when most of them from urban centers are rarely exposed to handcrafted leather goods. I was lucky to have watched my grandfather do it while growing up.

Speaking out loud, I wonder if selling and promoting armour kits and such at comic and RPG fairs might be another avenue for them. They could have a few promotional models decked out in "Epic" sets of armour and the like.

Edited by traiven3d

Speaking out loud, I wonder if selling and promoting armour kits and such at comic and RPG fairs might be another avenue for them. They could have a few promotional models decked out in "Epic" sets of armour and the like.

You wouldn't know it from their main site, but Tandy is starting to go that direction on Leathercraft Library. The section is still somewhat small, but they have been building a pretty good collection of Steampunk projects, mostly in the video section. Not quite the super geeky patterns that some of us know would sell, but it's a start.

if that would be the case then why would they bother to stock leather hides for sale

I think the corporate office allows their managers to decide for themselves about that sort of stuff

they want what is best for the bottom line and if holding leather classes to teach people how to make stuff from scratch makes the store money then corporate is all for it

The Chattanooga store recently changed management and the new manager holds weekly Saturday classes on making things from scratch..

- Tandy is NOT Tandy. They are The Leather Factory started by daddy Thompson and Ron Morgan who are now retired

Oddly, I got better service from the Leather Factory BEFORE it was Tandy (TLF). There's one a little over an hour from here that I first purchased from in '85. Never a bad order, never needed to return ANYthing. Tell 'em what I want, and in a couple of days there it is. Call me if they don't have it (which was rare). Give me the choice of a credit or a refund.

Now, I don't buy much there, and when I do, I go pick it out. Just don't have time for returning orders and waiting for replacements, etc....

Yep, things aint what they usedta be ...

Ah yes the old leather factory was much better before tandy bought them out

the leather factory actually originated here in Chattanooga, TN at the old Shultz tannery

the Shultz Tannery in no longer in business unfortunately.

all thanks to Tandy.

Edited by St8LineGunsmith

As one of those young people trying to get into this, I'm surprised at the mentions in this thread of 'all the other suppliers out there.' Every time I think of a new tool I could use, I follow the same progression: 1- check the flyer, 2- see that it's over-priced and not on sale, 3- curse Tandy's monopoly, 4- decide to try and wait until next month when the item might be on sale.

But suddenly it sounds like it's nowhere near the monopoly I thought it was. I'm grateful Tandy exists and I have gotten some good stuff from them, but there are a lot of things that kinda bug me about them, too. What other suppliers are we talking about here? (I'd love to be a mighty enough leather crafter to call the custom guys and drop $100/stamp, but I am hoping for more affordable options at this point.)

As one of those young people trying to get into this, I'm surprised at the mentions in this thread of 'all the other suppliers out there.' Every time I think of a new tool I could use, I follow the same progression: 1- check the flyer, 2- see that it's over-priced and not on sale, 3- curse Tandy's monopoly, 4- decide to try and wait until next month when the item might be on sale.

If you did not know of any other suppliers, I'm curious how you came to figure that their stuff was overpriced without any other basis by which to judge it...(I mean...*I* think it's overpriced for what it is, but that's after comparing it to tools available from other sources...just curious how you came to the same conclusion without another source to compare it to...)

To answer the rest of your question, make things, sell them, use the funds you make to buy more materials and better tools...sometimes you can get decent used tools on ebay...but a lot of time, the people that sell them on there think they're 24k solid gold or something...:)

Edited by TXAG

But suddenly it sounds like it's nowhere near the monopoly I thought it was. I'm grateful Tandy exists and I have gotten some good stuff from them, but there are a lot of things that kinda bug me about them, too. What other suppliers are we talking about here? (I'd love to be a mighty enough leather crafter to call the custom guys and drop $100/stamp, but I am hoping for more affordable options at this point.)

Compaired to Springfield leather company they are well overpriced

if you want to see a real savings with Springfield join their wholesale club and they also honor Tandys gold club membership

all you have to do is call Springfield and tell the rep you have a Tandy gold club membership and you would like to get signed up then they will get you squared away that way when you log on to their site you will get the wholesale pricing.

as far as price comparisons a stamp from Tandy is ..$9.95 regular price, $8.00 gold club price

the same stamp from Springfield is $7.49 regular price and $5.49 wholesale club price

Tandys small poly maul list price is $99.00 Gold club pricing is.$80.00 you can get a Bary King maul from SLC for$46.00 Wholesale club price and $54.99 regular price.

their leathers are higher quality than TLF for the same price or less..

so yesTLFin comparison to SLC is gouging the customers as hard as they possibly can.

Edited by St8LineGunsmith

Yeah, I am done with Springfield...not going to do business with them anymore, so I don't really care what their prices are right now.

I have been buying my tools and supplies from several others of the dealers you mentioned though and have been very happy with them.

Edited by TXAG

]oops sorry I quoted the wrong member but I edited my post.

you have to buy from a supplier you are comfortable with however if you are getting better pricing and customer service than SLC I sure would like to see some links.

Thanks in advance.

Well...honestly, it isn't very hard to do better than they've done to me lately. Not much of a contest. :)

Yeah, been there. I have purchased some worth while stuff at Tandy (I actually like their Royal Meadow tooling leather - bit of a different tannage, just a tad more supple and very bleached color). On teh other hand, I've called Springfield more than once to chew someone. Last time I called for an order the wife put in. I was pretty much fuming, and calmed a bit before I would even call. Lady was polite, so I explained that while I'd like to have that "one place" to get stuff, I dont have time for a 'crap shoot' and returning orders (customers like it when you stick to the time line). Whoever that gal was cleaned it up pretty well (she should be in PR full time), so we'll see how it goes. Leather coming from them again on Thursday, but only one side.

Man,wouldn't it be nice to just have ONE place where you could tell 'em what ya need, and actually get what you asked for. Doesn't seem to be limited to leather though ... I was spending $10k a month at Menard's for a while til they 'stuck it to me'. Now if I go there it's to flirt with that cashier ...

Edited by JLSleather

If you did not know of any other suppliers, I'm curious how you came to figure that their stuff was overpriced without any other basis by which to judge it...(I mean...*I* think it's overpriced for what it is, but that's after comparing it to tools available from other sources...just curious how you came to the same conclusion without another source to compare it to...)

Oh, it's pretty darn apparent. Supply/demand and all that, sure, but when they put a short stick on a lathe, carve some grooves, call it a slicker and charge $17 for it, it's hard to feel like they take their customers seriously. I'm hardly ready to boycott or anything, but this Springfield place certainly sounds worth a look.