Pounder

Sewing Machine Bath

I am attempting to clean and hopefully salvage and use this Singer 45K50. The machine is in primarily good shape except it "groans" at a certain point when you hand turn the wheel. I have had this explained to me as "metal galding" and a good bath might make it stop. I am appealing to the knowledge of you old timers, like me, that know these things, this machine was manufactured in the 1920's.

I would like the bath this machine in something and would like to hear some product or home concoction recommendations or direction before proceeding.

Thanks all, can't wait to read the responses

Pounder

Pounder,

I used Marvel Mystery Oil to clean my Pfaff 145 it was doing something similar to your machine it was making a noise when turning the hand wheel like it was struggling to do so. I asked a friend of mine that restores coke machines as to what product to use to revive my Pfaff he told me that the best oil to use was Marvel that it makes gear mechanisms turn like a watch. So I grabbed 2 bottles of it and soaked the machine and let it sit overnight I made sure I got in all the little gears and turning components pretty much anything that moves should be soaked and I did, I let it sit over night and with clean towels that won't leave lint behind I started going to work I also grabbed a tooth brush and used it on areas that needed an extensive cleaning. After doing that I sprayed the machine again but this time I did not rub the oil off I just wiped it. Let me tell you my machine runs like new. I was impressed you'll have fun while doing it too, I did. You'll learn more about the machine after you do this, if you have the owners manual look at all the parts that move and and use it as a reference to look for those parts and spray them. I'm not saying this is the way to do it but it worked for me, I would avoid spraying water or soap on the machine as you will always leave water behind and rust starts to appear overnight. Have fun!

Ralph

1 quart of acetone and 1 quart of ATF mixed together is the best I have found. Last week I got a 211g155 that was totally locked up, no movement at all. I soaked it with the mix about 5 pm and the next morning a 8 it would turn by hand. I soaked again then blew it out with an air hose. then got after it with a toothbrush dipped in the same mix. It had been in a flood and was under water for a week then set in a shed for 3 years. Today I sewed 28 oz. of harness leather with it. Keep this mix sealed in a metal can or the acetone will evaporate quickly.

For a sewing machine that just needs a bath and 50 years of crud cleaned out of it I use use mineral spirits shot through an cheap automotive paint gun. For scrubbing I use a paint brush with the bristles trimmed short, followed up with sewing machine oil.

Scott

Thanks to you all for the suggestions and recommendations. Cannot wait to try one of them just to see what happens, heck I might do them all so I know it is really clean. Okay maybe not. I do get the idea, soak the ---- out of it and let it set. Then scrub, rinse and repeat.

Thanks again to all who posted and hope everyone gets something out of this.

After you get it freed up, DO NOT FORGET to lubricate it completely with a good sewing machine oil !! Mystery Oil and other thin penetrating oils are NOT suitable for long term use as lubricants. They will not lubricate well for any length of time and protect your machine against excessive wear. After using the thin penetrating products, you will need several applications of a proper oil to flush the thin oils out of the bearings. Properly warned, sez I !!

I use NATO S-761 weapons oil for lubricating my machines.

I used it a lot in the arms room when I was in Service (German Army).

I think what is good for weapons can´t be wrong for sewing machines.

I use it fore all light lubricating purposes all over the house, car, mountain bike....

For more info on the S-761 oil check this:

http://www.milispec.com/eng/products/weapon.php