Hi everyone...newbie here. This is my first knife sheath, and maybe my 5 or 6th leather project in total. As a lefty, I wanted to carry this knife on my belt but typical...it came with a right handed sheath.

this was actually supposed to be a prototype because I didn't think it was going to come out perfect (you know how it is, always *one* thing you would change) so I had chosen a piece of hide that was marked up and didn't make a basket weave pattern as I originally wanted to do. Some of the marks on the leather came from when I wet it and molded it...I clamped it in a vice wrapped in a shop rag and some of the cloth pattern transferred. Also, when using the eco-friendly dye with a sponge it came out foamy and it blotched...so I went with it and used an antiquing dye as well.

So, halfway through the project I decided to make it look something akin to a worn in trusty old tool belt. Funny how that happens.

I have to thank my girlfriend for the knife. A gift for this hunting season.

SAM_1166_zps810fb796.jpg

Edited by Jaan

Looks good Jaan, did you put a welt in there to protect the lace from being cut?

Kevin.

No...what should I have done?

Re the welt - Probably, it would stop the blade from cutting your lacing.

I also keep away from rivets in areas where the blade is likely to touch so it doesn't blunt.

Happy leathering :-)

Well I had anticipated that when making it, so there is a significant distance between the lacing / rivets and the actual knife and the leather is molded so tightly around the knife it hardly moves side to side at all, and certainly doesn't move down.

When I tried to Google "leather welt" I kept getting results about Goodyear welts and boots. Do you have a link to a thread or site with more information on using welts as described?

Thanks again!

nice knife sheath. I too am new to this leathercraft thing. I found out that that the welt is a piece of leather that runs along the sharp edge of a blade and is sandwiched between the front and back layer of your knife sheath. this is to protect the threads or lacing from being cut. I've watch several videos of knife sheath making and found that some people use rivets, some don't. this is probably a personal choice.

Hi there. First time post for me. Been reading and learning things here for a bit, off and on.

Nice looking sheath you have created.

In regards to the welt, I found this page helpful, http://beebeknives.com/html/make_a_sheath_tutorial.html , and this page/image, http://beebeknives.com/html/make_a_sheath_tutorial_-_details_19.html , as details for the welt.

The welt is stitched or riveted (if you want to use them, I've noticed most here do not), between the front and the back of the sheath, and is just a 1/4" strip that runs the length of the edge of the blade side of the sheath. This gives the blade an edge to touch, without fear of cutting the stitching, or the blade hitting the rivets and dulling or chipping the blade.

Good luck, good crafting, and enjoy!

Ronnie

In regards to the welt, I found this page helpful, http://beebeknives.c...h_tutorial.html , and this page/image, http://beebeknives.c...details_19.html , as details for the welt.

That's exactly the link I was going to post. Helped me a lot on my first few sheaths.

I found sometimes the process of making something will change the piece mid-stream - some imperfection shows up, dye doesn't finish well, etc.

I really like the effect of the cloth on the surface.