yffuda

Briefcase/messenger Bag Help

I am currently working on a briefcase/messenger bag and am currently struggling with the pattern design. This is my second bag and it is quite a bit larger and more complex then the first. I would like to base it on a design similar to the Saddleback Classic Briefcase XL, I might change the dimensions a bit to fit my needs.

Here is a link: http://www.saddlebackleather.com/briefcase

My biggest concern are the gussets or pleats or whatever they are called on the sides, and how they connect with the bottom.

I have some leftover 4/5oz veg tanned leather but not enough for the whole bag, so I need to go to Tandy and get more. Should I get more veg tanned or is there a more suitable leather that would hold up better to the elements?

Thank you for any advise you can give.

post-45711-0-47806500-1381004856_thumb.j

post-45711-0-42155700-1381004865_thumb.j

Hi Yffuda. The gusset attaches to the bottom the same way it attaches to the sides. I made my first messenger bag out of chrome tanned but if I make another it will be out of veg tanned. I hope this helps. Cheryl

Thank you for your reply! I'll probably stick with the veg tanned but I might go a little heavier (maybe 8/9 oz) for the front, back, center and flap then use my leftover 4/5 oz leather for the gussets. I'm working on the paper model right now and it's coming along nicely. Are there any products you can recommend for increasing the durability of the leather? i.e. Waterproofing/ longevity

Thanks

I always finish my leather with resolene. Use it 50/50 with water and apply light coats. A lot of people use fancy things to condition their leather but I just use bag balm. Cheap and has the same lanolin in it most other conditioners have. If the bag gets dirty I would just recommend water wipe off, or maybe saddle soap and water followed up by conditioning. The condition on a bag shouldn't be necessary over once a year I wouldn't think. Cheryl