sembrando

Birkenstock Type Sandals

My first dabble into leather making has been some Birkenstock type sandals. I bought a $.99 pair of Arizona's on ebay and used them for the template, but made appropriate changes for the new double D ring buckles. I used distressed chocolate dyed bison leather from Tandy (on sale 4.99 sq. ft.!) along with some speed rivets. The footbed is Birkenstock and the soles are Vibram both bought on ebay for $9.99. Total with shipping is around $50-60, less than half of new Birks. They have been working great. The D rings do not stay too tight, but certainly tight enough for their intended lounge purpose since I choose not to add a heel strap. They still need some finishing touches and I am open to any and all criticism. I have a ton of leather left and I'd like to make a few more pairs for gifts this Christmas so I'd like to make them better if possible. Thanks

post-45836-0-83540500-1381280772_thumb.j

post-45836-0-67533000-1381280886_thumb.j

That's pretty cool! I've never made footwear so I haven't the first clue on how to make them. Where did you get the soles?

eBay! Of course... That's where everything is. Lol!

Thanks, love the sandals!

Is it just glue that holds the footbed to the sole? If so how did you get it to adhere effectively?

Is it just glue that holds the footbed to the sole? If so how did you get it to adhere effectively?

It is pretty common for soles to be glued onto the shoe, with no nails or stitching. Common glues used by cobblers are Masters, Renia or Barge. I have used Barge on leather and recently learned about Renia, it is a joy to use and is incredibly strong.