I have the opportunity to buy this cast iron Tippman Boss in excellent condition. I think most of you will advise me to buy it.

But without me telling you what the guy wants for it, what do you think is a fait price range for this machine?

Does anybody have more info about the red version of this machine?

post-6312-0-81936800-1381610256_thumb.jp

What does it come with? need that to set a price. I have never seen a red version of the Boss. I wonder if its been repainted?

A few more pictures of different angles would help.

I did some searching and found one reference about a Red Boss machine. This stated that the red model was the original version. That would make this one pretty old and probably in need of some of the updates that came out. As stated more information about what it comes with would help.

Assuming the edge guide and stitching post / stool come with it, . . . as well as it's age, . . . if I needed it, . . . and IF (this is the big one) it sewed to suit me, . . . I'd probably be talked into $1000 for it.

I'd make it sew a full 30 inches with no hiccups in 277, 346, and 400 thread though before any serious discussion would be under way from me.

I have the aluminum version, . . . and it works great for me, . . . I don't see how an older one in cast iron would be any kind of improvement.

May God bless,

Dwight

I have an aluminum Boss. I have used it for a couple of years now, and it sews well. A lot of people prefer the cast iron models because the weight makes them more stable and they operate more smoothly. I would trade my newer aluminum model for an older cast one anyday.

Here are the attachments it comes with (and four huge spools of thread):20131013_083738.jpg

It is definately the cast iron version , so it is a better machine than the new ones

If the machine operates properly and with the shown accessories a fair deal would be around $1200.

$1000 would be my limit. Any thing beyond that I would be considering Cobra, servo motor and a lot more ability to produce.

Paul

A used Tippmann should sell for around 5-600 depending on the accessories probably a little more. One of the Tippmann reps told me this 4 or 5 years ago when I bought mine. I ended up paying 500 for all in your photo except the thread. It came with one spool of black 277. It had the table with it too. Good luck with your purchase.

Paid $800 for it and it is in excellent working condition! I think this was really a good deal. I had two other guys standing in line to buy it if I did not take it.

I've got a red one sitting in my kitchen. It's on loan, and if I can get it working I'll buy it. But there are a few bugs I need to work out before I lay down the cash. Mainly, I need to figure out how to use it on my style of holsters. It's being difficult.

I've got a red one sitting in my kitchen. It's on loan, and if I can get it working I'll buy it. But there are a few bugs I need to work out before I lay down the cash. Mainly, I need to figure out how to use it on my style of holsters. It's being difficult.

Cheifjason, . . . what kind of difficulties is it giving you?

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight,

I finally got the tension where I was happy with it. But somewhere along the line it has gotten burrs on the bottom plate, just inside the hole. I'm assuming a needle got bent or pushed into the side and it tore up the side a bit. It was a non issue with the standard presser foot. But I put a zipper foot on because of the way I make the flat back pancakes. That's when it started cutting at the back side of the leather. Instead of holding the leather on both sides, it started pushing in just enough for the burrs to cut the leather. I ruined my first holster, but did not know why. Then it did it again on a knife sheath and I tracked down that issue. So that's the main machine issue at this point.

But on top of that, I'm having a tough time figuring out how to arrange my stitch lines, and start or stop the stitch. Not how to do it with the machine per se, but how to arrange the direction of the stitch. My holsters are fully formed and glued before I stitch them. Not an issue with hand stitching. But a big problem with the machine. Trying to figure out which zipper foot, which direction, or even if it will work at all. And the throat on the cast iron Boss 1 is about a half inch narrower. That does not sound like much, until you start making turns with the holster. And with all the things I have going it's hard to work time in to solve those problems.

I like the machine overall. I can file/sand down the burrs no problem. But if I can't get it to work on the holsters I'll either have to re figure my style, or pass on the machine. If I can get it to work I'd start haggling with him on the price and buy it.

Short answer, part machine, part holster design, and part time.