Aart

Overstitch

Good day ladies and gentlemen,

A question from France.

What do english speaking leather workers mean by "overstitch"

Is it a one needle or a two needle thing.

I think it means sewing two pieces of leather together with one thread one needle

going from the back to the front through a hole and needle with the thread over the top

to the back to go to towards the front again in the next hole. The thread forming a

bridge over the sides to be fixed together. But I'm not sure and would like to understand.

Who is the expert answering? Or the expert it in a more or less understandable

english

Best regards

Aart

Good day ladies and gentlemen,

A question from France.

What do english speaking leather workers mean by "overstitch"

Is it a one needle or a two needle thing.

I think it means sewing two pieces of leather together with one thread one needle

going from the back to the front through a hole and needle with the thread over the top

to the back to go to towards the front again in the next hole. The thread forming a

bridge over the sides to be fixed together. But I'm not sure and would like to understand.

Who is the expert answering? Or the expert it in a more or less understandable

english

Best regards

Aart

Aart,

What I know of overstitch is in the use of an overstitch wheel. this device is used to evenly mark hole locations for proper hand (saddle) stitching. After the stitching is completed, then the same overstitch wheel is run "over" the stitches to help them lay better and straighten any irregularities. Here's a picture of an overstitch wheel.

overstitch_wheel.jpg

post-3307-1222035411_thumb.jpg

Aart,

What I know of overstitch is in the use of an overstitch wheel. this device is used to evenly mark hole locations for proper hand (saddle) stitching. After the stitching is completed, then the same overstitch wheel is run "over" the stitches to help them lay better and straighten any irregularities. Here's a picture of an overstitch wheel.

Thanks Rawhide,

I saw that tool before and it seems to point in an other direction.

It means more or less that the tread and stitches are in line and not (like I thought) that the thread leaves in a 45 ° angle from the stitches.

(I'm stil working on my Gig Saddle Pad and currently I try to figure out how Steinke puts welts, skirts and the seat together.)

I'm getting there and it is fun to figure out how the real craftsmen get their results.

Best

Aart.

Aart. Now i get what you mean. I have added a link. It is an old book on making an English riding saddle. It is also a little dated however the principal for attaching your seat, skirts and welt is basically the same for a gig saddle.

The overstitch is more or less a temporary stitch just to hold the welt in place to assist you when seaming in the seat. This is done because trying to line up the welt, skirt and seat all in one can be a bit tricky. I just go over the edge and move from one stitch/pricking mark to the next (no need to back stitch as again it is only just to attach the welt so as to make the job easier).

I'll see what else I can dig up to assist you.

Barra

http://www.countryside.gov.uk/Images/Makin..._tcm2-18973.pdf

Edited by barra

Thanks for this Barra,

Once again you're helping out.

Would be great to learn more ..

Aart.

Aart. Now i get what you mean. I have added a link. It is an old book on making an English riding saddle. It is also a little dated however the principal for attaching your seat, skirts and welt is basically the same for a gig saddle.

The overstitch is more or less a temporary stitch just to hold the welt in place to assist you when seaming in the seat. This is done because trying to line up the welt, skirt and seat all in one can be a bit tricky. I just go over the edge and move from one stitch/pricking mark to the next (no need to back stitch as again it is only just to attach the welt so as to make the job easier).

I'll see what else I can dig up to assist you.

Barra

http://www.countryside.gov.uk/Images/Makin..._tcm2-18973.pdf

Aart. I forgot to add, it is a one needle job. When you seam your seat with your skirts you just go in the same holes you made when yoiu overtitched the welt. when your done, don't forget to turn the finished seam. There is a special tool for this but the same effect can be done with a few gentle taps on the seam with a ball pein hammer. It makes the seam "pop" and everything will sit nice.

On a side note. If you need assistance when it comes to the cantle binding. Surf thru the posts here on cantle binding a western saddle. Again the principal is the same just on a miniature scale.

Aart. I forgot to add, it is a one needle job. When you seam your seat with your skirts you just go in the same holes you made when yoiu overtitched the welt. when your done, don't forget to turn the finished seam. There is a special tool for this but the same effect can be done with a few gentle taps on the seam with a ball pein hammer. It makes the seam "pop" and everything will sit nice.

On a side note. If you need assistance when it comes to the cantle binding. Surf thru the posts here on cantle binding a western saddle. Again the principal is the same just on a miniature scale.

Wow and I thought my english sufficient. Six lines and as many words I do not know:

What special tool ? is that the "overstitch wheel "?

What is a ball pein hammer ?

Cantle Binding ??? I suppose we'll find out when we get there.

On the side: would not it be an idea to start a "Leather workers dictionary" in several modern and not so modern languages

(I'm fluent in Dutch, French and Swahili (Almost fluent in English I'm sorry to learn)

But thanks Barra

Aart.

Aart.

Seam turner

http://www.abbeysaddlery.co.uk/product_detail.cfm?id=FD024

There is a groove and you place the seam in this groove and rub back and forth. It makes the seam lay correctly.

Ball Pein hammer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball-peen_hammer

I am fluent in 2 languages English and when I bugger up I am also proficent in Profanity. Greg

Wow and I thought my english sufficient. Six lines and as many words I do not know:

What special tool ? is that the "overstitch wheel "?

What is a ball pein hammer ?

Cantle Binding ??? I suppose we'll find out when we get there.

On the side: would not it be an idea to start a "Leather workers dictionary" in several modern and not so modern languages

(I'm fluent in Dutch, French and Swahili (Almost fluent in English I'm sorry to learn)

But thanks Barra

Aart.

Thank you for the "Abbey" link Barra,

Aart.