BoonesDaddy

Which Servo Motor For Consew 206Rb-1

Hi,

I just acquired a Consew 206rb-1. I paid $500 for the head, motor, and table, and it works great. However, I need more control. I am looking for some suggestions for a good servo motor that will work with this machine. I'm a school teacher so it can't cost an arm and a leg :).

Thanks.

Edited by BoonesDaddy

Bob Kovar at http://www.tolindsewmach.com/ I am told, just sent him an email for one. You can search for him here and see a description of the 3 to 1 gear reduce servo.

Nice deal for 500 btw! A steal.

Yep, Bob sells a Family Sew servo motor that is perfect for walking foot machines. He also stocks the Sew Slow 500GR, of which I have two. 866-362-7397

I have the Sew Pro 500gr on a 206 and Im pretty happy with it , talk to Bob he won't steer you in the wrong direction he is a good guy .

Good luck

I emailed Bob and asked for a 220V variant, he said the 550GR is no longer available. I hope he does not mind that I post his answer email here:

Hello,

To be honest with you they used to be a great motor but the last batch we

bought aren't as strong as the previous ones.They re-designed them & ruined

them.They aren't made in 220 V either.

I'm not happy with them but they won't make them like they used to so we

won't have them anymore.

Thanks

Bob Kovar

Toledo Industrial Sewing Machine Sales

my new consew 206 rb 5 with the 500 GR struggles going through 2 layers of 7 oz veggie tan at low speed

my new consew 206 rb 5 with the 500 GR struggles going through 2 layers of 7 oz veggie tan at low speed

I don't want to bash anybody who sells the 500GR in any way shape or form.

I've had, for a short period of time, a half dozen of these 500GR motors to sell. I, personally had next to zero luck with these motors, and half were returned. If someone has one and likes it, and wishes to hype and promote this motor, rock on. I can tell you I have two in the basement broken that do not work.

I love the concept, and really would like for this motor to work, but I would have a very difficult time personally recommending this motor to anybody. I do not currently offer it, either. The level of quality seems to be suspect.

Again, these are only my personal experiences setting up and selling this motor, along with customer reports that I received. Just wanted to share.

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

That's why I added a pulley reduction set as well. Most motors lose torque at slow speeds. So when going slow on thicker leather, the motor has lost much of its torque and needs some help, but chances are, I have both hands on the project and don't have a third one yet to help wheel the machine.

There are larger specialized digital servo motors that have more torque at low speeds, but it's going to cost you!

Tom

I guess I'm lucky that I have to original versions of the SewPro 500 GR. Still, turning down the speed limiter pot does reduce torque. The Family Sew motors don't seem to have that problem. I operate a long body Singer walking foot machine with a Family Sew 3/4 hp servo, with the knob set to either the lowest, or second to lowest speed. It doesn't bog down, but I'm not using it with very thick or dense material.

The entire concept of the 500GR is that you don't need a speed reducer...so much for that I guess. BTW...speed reducers work great even with standard cluch motors, and give great low end torque and great low end speed control.

And yes, the Family FESM-550S ( "S" is the one with the external, illuminated switch) is a fantastic motor. I'm quite sure this is the one Wiz is talking about.

Im confused ,what motor works best for high tork at low speed up to 3/8" leather on a consew 206 rb-5

Well, after doing some research, it looks like there are a lot of good reviews on the Reliable SQ 5000...or I could get a reducer. However, the reducers looks to cost as much as the motors themselves. Are there and inexpensive alternatives for a reducer? It doesn't make much sense to spend money on just a reducer if I can get a servo motor for the same price. As I am not working on leather, just canvas and sailcloth, I think the servo would have sufficient torque at slow speed. Right?

I have a consew servo on my Kingmax 206 clone. I dropped the 70mm pulley down to a 1 3/4 I think and now I can get it to go quite slow. I pondered the reducer but its anywhere from 125-145, I may save that for when I get a post-bed where I'll need slow for tight turns. I think the torque is fine for what I do, I can always hand wheel helper it.

If you are going from a clutch to a servo I don't think you'll be unhappy. I have seen the digital servos out there and youtube videos on how to turn them down more but they are 160+ on ebay so I went with the pulley change on my analog.

What about the ENDURO motors? I read that some members modified them to slow down the starting speed.

http://endurosaves.com/

Seems there are motors with even 1400W power and they have mentioned the amount of torque in their descriptions.

Congrats on the Consew! Nice machine, a real Work Horse!

Thought I'd chime in, as I am going through same thing, trying to decide if I should get Servo Motor to replace my first Servo that I bought new and it was a bad one. It was a Reliable 3000 Sew Quiet, and it quit shortly after buying it. I know it is unusual, based on what I have read that other buyers of the same motor have written. But anyhow, it happened!

So, I found this one:

New Nick O Sew NKS 5500 110V Servo Motor Best Quality | eBay

I don't know how it compares to what else you are looking at, but looks to be 3/4 HP.

Let us know what you decide and how you like the motor you end up with. It's a hard choice to make and I agree, can be confusing.

Good luck!

I think I am getting that Nickosew myself for my post-bed I have on order from them, I have talked to Nick and he has a nice setup. I am not sure on the service yet as this is the first time working with them but they have a huge presence so I doubt they wouldn't support things. That said the NKS 5500 is an analog and I am guessing its like my Consew analog servo and doesn't give the bump control with the pedal I think you can get with a digital servo. Be interested to hear people who have both a digital and a analog servo on the differences.

A 70mm motor pulley is about 3 inches in diameter. This will drive the machine at a very high rate of speed. You will probably end up setting the rotary switch to the lowest setting, just to maintain control.

I have 50mm (~ 2") pulleys on all of my servo motors.

A 70mm motor pulley is about 3 inches in diameter. This will drive the machine at a very high rate of speed. You will probably end up setting the rotary switch to the lowest setting, just to maintain control.

I have 50mm (~ 2") pulleys on all of my servo motors.

Wiz, i thought the speed dial only changes the max speed and has no other affect when starting and at low speed. But you have mentioned that it does reduce torque at startup and low speed. Is that correct? I understand the low startup torque I did not realise that the changing of max speed also degraded startup.

Tony

Wiz, i thought the speed dial only changes the max speed and has no other affect when starting and at low speed. But you have mentioned that it does reduce torque at startup and low speed. Is that correct? I understand the low startup torque I did not realise that the changing of max speed also degraded startup.

Tony

Yes it does lose torque at slower speeds, but not too badly on a typical straight stitch or walking foot machine. The heavier the load on the machine, the more pronounced the effect. If you only sew into medium temper leather, lower torque won't be a problem. You would notice it if you have a #24 needle and are sewing with #207 bonded thread, into 3/8 inch of water hardened veg-tan.

This type of application is where a smaller motor pulley (or speed reducer) comes in handy. It multiplies the available punching power, at the expense of top end speed. Replacing a 3" pulley with a 2" pulley increases the slow speed punching power by 1/3rd. You probably wouldn't even notice the 33% loss of available top speed (~ 2200 rather than 3450). I don't see most leather crafters sewing at 36+ stitches per second. Now, upholsters are a whole nuther story!

Edited by Wizcrafts

Gregg,

I have really been studying servo motor vs. clutch motors and although the cost is somewhere between $105-$150-ish, I want to make a good choice and not buy a motor that will quit on me long before it should, like my servo motor did.

So, can you please tell me what exactly the "S" means? Is that for "Switch" or for something else?

You seem to be the only Dealer offering this particular servo motor with an "S" on the end of the model number.

Do I really need to have the illuminated switch? Does it make the machine run better somehow?

I have found other motors that have either a similar number, similar look, or both... such as:

NKS-5500 (Nick-O Sew) Great Ebay Feedback, & They will sell to you over phone too.

FESM-550 http://www.zamirsew.net DC Motor, 3/4 HP

FESM-550N (Allbrands) I have purchased from them in the past, Very Satisfied.

I'd be happy with a clutch motor too, but still considering a servo again, reading what people have to say who owned them or who have owned them.

Please advise, if you can. Much appreciated.

Thanks so much.

-Suz

The entire concept of the 500GR is that you don't need a speed reducer...so much for that I guess. BTW...speed reducers work great even with standard cluch motors, and give great low end torque and great low end speed control.

And yes, the Family FESM-550S ( "S" is the one with the external, illuminated switch) is a fantastic motor. I'm quite sure this is the one Wiz is talking about.

Edited by suzelle

Suz,

I'm not sure what you are asking me specifically again?

Yes, my Family Sew motor has an external switch box, with an illuminated rocker switch (when ON). I wouldn't have it any other way.

Suzell,

Thats Chinese sewing machine industry in a nut shell, same product with 1001 different names. You must buy from the dealer you trust, or based on this forums knowledge and feed back. A high end Japan or German system motor will cost you from 600 to 1000 $. You cannot expect a 100 to 150$ motor to last forever. I use mostly German Efka motors. However, I have one Cobra digital 600 W servo motor and it works fine. It very similar to any other motor that looks like it. They all (almost) have had some issues with the speed control, but its been corrected on the Cobra now (and perhaps many others).

Do a forum search on it and you will see what I mean. I do not know much about older Chinese analog motors (I never bought any). I heard the speed control are good on them, but some of them might be a bit to weak (400 Watt). The later digital motors are stronger, but do not have a good speed control. They uses an light switch. (A proper digital speed control is expensive) The digital 600 watt is more than strong enough for an upholstery class triple feed. You can even find them stronger than that. Some of them might have a faulty speed control, some are fixed. If Gregg offered me a good motor, then personally I would trust its good.

Good luck

Tor

Gregg, sorry if my question was not very clear. The motor information can be confusing.

My question was about what the "S" means on the end of the model number you are offering. Just needed to know if the "S" is for "Switch" (?)

Thanks so much,

Suz

Yes, this is correct, Family motors I was getting in with the switch on the face of the motor came in as model FESM-550N.

The Family motors with the external switch we have come in with a FESM-550S.