HawkIS

Shop Press Advice

This is my first post, I've read a lot of good information here. I was hoping to get some advice... I want to cut 13" x 9" square pieces of cowhide leather. I won't be doing a large amount, maybe 5 per day.

I have been looking at the Harbor Freight 20 ton shop press, but want to make sure this would be sufficient for my needs. If so, what do I need to do to modify it to cut leather? I am planning on using steel rule dies.

Thanks for the help.

You have enough pressure, that's not an issue. With the hardest of leather (except rawhide) that press should cut those rectangles easily. Shear strenght at just over half of that to blow a hole in 8-10 oz leather, but the knife action in a steel rule should further reduce the tonnage.

Obviously, you'd need plates heavy enough top and bottom to support the perimeter of your dies, and even the pressure. Some folks have modified these - if you havent tried the search already - but I don't know if they were punching that broad a piece. Not that the thing doesn't have the force, but you'd need to span quite a bit wider than that thing is (front to back).

Not to talk you into or out of anything, but if you are cutting straight lines, and only need 5 a day, I'd just use a long straight edge and a knife. Now, if you have other things to blank out ...

Unless you have the steel plate and the ability to weld just go to: www.texascustomdies.com They sell a 12 ton version already set up. It looks like you are neighbors, for Texas anyway.

In a previous life I worked in the folding carton industry. The steel rule dies we used had a plywood backing. We could make sample cartons by laying the die, knives up, on a solid steel table. With the paperboard laying upside down on the die we would use a rawhide mallet to tap above the rule all the way around the die, hand cutting the sample. There is no reason this could not be done with leather, especially for 6 pieces a day. A couple of strategic 1" holes in the backer board could be used for a finger or dowel to eject the leather from the die.

Thanks for the input. I should clarify... I will be making 5 items or so a day, but each item requires 4 pieces, so I am looking at 20 cuts a day, and hopefully more as time goes by.

JLS, I have tried searching to see what others have done to modify a press, but I can't seem to find any specifics on what needs to be done.

Ken, is it worth spending the extra $300 to go with Texas Custom Dies? I am not a welder, but I might be able to find someone that can weld it for me.

Thanks again for your help.

I haven't seen one of TCD's presses in person so I don't know. You have the advantage of being close enough to go look at it and possibly pick it up saving the freight charges.

My long term plans involve buying/building a press of some sort. I would imagine to convert the HFT press you would need a couple of 3/4" or even 1" steel plates from 12" to 18" square. Then you will need some sort of gusset and bracket arrangement to mount these plates in the press. They have to be mounted in the press with enough precision to compress together evenly to cut your product without uneven pressure on the die.

I'm as frugal as the next guy but steel is not cheap and I do not have the equipment or ability to fabricate the cutting platens. A couple of friends are excellent welders/fabricators but they don't work free like me.

I don't know what steel prices are like in the US, but I just had a 12 ton shop press modified. I bought the press on sale for $80, bought 2 3/4" steel plates for $40, and traded a friend some upholstery work for the welding job. When all was said and done, it cost me around $150..if you search this site, there are photos of how it's done. It's not as complicated (or expensive) as you would think :)

I bought a ten ton with a gauge so I know exactly how much pressure is being applied.