Hi all,

This is my first post here, and I hope somebody might be able to provide an opinion or advice. I just got an Adler 69 362 (see e.g. pages 7-9 in a leaflet here). The model is equipped with a roller foot.

The main question is: can the roller foot be replaced with a walking foot? Such as something like this.

Or is this limited to a 69 373 model? To a layman as myself, the rest of the machine configuration looks the same.

As for me, I am a hobbyist. I consider working with leather as a way of meditation (to take my mind off from the day job). Up until now, I have handstitched most items (some knife sheats, holsters, a couple of bags, quite a number of wallets ... only had patience to handstitch one belt). I have also used a home sewing machine for parts of bags (a cheap Toyota FSR21 with a cheap walking foot attachment, but it does quite some work).

I plan on using the Adler primarily for wallets and bags, but occasional belts would be nice too. I've tested it just a bit so far, and it easily managed to stitch 2 layers of around 8-9 oz veg tan (I think ... 2 layers of 3,5 mm ... sorry, I'm European ... ounces confuse me :/). I will not torture it with this much though. 4 layers of soft leather (parts of bag edges) should normally be the heaviest type of work.

So ... should I be happy with the purchase (it was 230 EUR / ca. 310 USD for the whole set: head, table, flat bed attachment, motor, etc.)?

If anybody has any experience with this machine, your opinions on its abilities and its limits would be most appreciated. Especially: pros and cons of roller foot vs walking foot.

Thanks!

Basil

This is not a walking foot sewing machine. It is a straight stitch sewing machine with a roller foot. You can not make a walking foot out of it.

The 69-373 is a triple feed, what Americans call a walking foot. (every machine with a feeding foot is also called the same). This -362 has only a double feed; a combined bottom and needle feed. (And can not be converted in to a triple feed, without spending more money on it than the cost of a new machine) The foot its only there to press the material down, it does not move. The best thing you can do is to leave the roller foot on. It is used on the lightest task of leather work, like wallets, shoes upper and small bags. 4,5 mm stitch length and 7 mm foot lift. A narrow arm machine with an horizontal rotating small hook. Used on light threads and tasks, I believe TKT 40 (Tex 69) will be max possible. However, its a nice machine class preferred by the ladies bag makers of Europe. Then mostly subclasses -373 and -73. http://sew24.blogspo.../downloads.html

Tor

Edited by Trox

The 362 is basically a 373 without the inner foot so it would be the outer foot that would fit but its made to accommodate the inner foot so less than ideal so you may need to modify to fit your requirements, as to how it would work with a foot I don't know because its not a jump foot but for £12.50 for an outer foot from colledge sew its worth a try. The Adler 69 is perfect for bags and wallets, it's an Adler you paid peanuts what not to be happy about.

Its no use to change the foot, it performed best with the roller foot. The -362 foot is not active (it does not move up and down, or back and forth; its there to keep the material down by the foot pressure spring). The -373 has an alternating presser and a feeding foot (in addition to the bottom and needle feed this machine has) That makes that machine more valuable that this of course. Nevertheless, this machine will do fine on flat material, but its no good on climbing.

Edited by Trox

My dad had a 205-64 same feed always ran it with a foot no problem a wheel may be better on a machine with just a feed dog but the -362 is a needle feed machine, needle feed adusted correctly is very strong and accurate perfectly capable of dragging a foot up hills encountered on wallets and bags (what it was made for) just make shure that you shape the front toe of the foot like the front of a ski same as the feet on the -362 in the manual. Here's a video of an Adler 169 with the very same feed as yours sewing no problem with a foot;

and the dedicated leather feed is needle feed jump foot with a slot plate (no feed dog) and out performs unison feed in all aspects on leather. Edited by Les No6

Thanks for all the input. Indeed, it would be too complicated to convert it to a walking foot. Much of the hardware is the same, including the foot. But the foot is passive, as it is not connected to the cam that executes the movement of the needle. Also, most importantly, the housing is different. If it were the same, it seems that the foot could be made active by adding "only a couple" connectors worth ca. 200$. Maybe I'll give it a try someday, but only if (a) I find a broken 373 with the parts of walking foot and housing still ok, and (B) I have a third machine on hand if I mess everything up. :)

For now, the 362 seems to be doing what I need it for. It does have problems climbing any steps over about 2 mm high, but I can deal with it by handwheeling it slowly, and when necessary, by lifting the foot at the same time.