Ian

Strap Cutting Machine

I am looking to purchase a strap cutting machine. The two options I'm looking at are Weaver's hand crank cutter and the Cobra power strap cutter. They are priced similarly at about $2,000. It won't be in constant use - just a few sides at a time.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has had experience with either machine. How easy it it to set up, can one person feed the leather through, etc.

Thanks much

Ian

I have no experience with either one of the above mentioned machines. I go over to my buddies shop and use his Randall 12 e strap cutter and this thing will eat 10-12 oz dry harness or Skirting no trouble at all. I am looking for one of these machines if anyone has a lead on one please let me know.. strap_cutter-175x240_zps8d1f7068.jpg

We have a Cobra AK-20 strap cutter as well as a Weaver hand crank strap cutter in our shop. There are pros and cons with each. Cobra Cons: time consuming setup when changing strap width, you have to hold the switch in with your finger to activate leaving only one hand to guide the leather (I'm going to rig up a foot switch in the future) Pros: requires little effort to cut compared to hand crank, the Cobra has a lever to lower bottom roller allowing you to easily remove leather if you don't want to cut entire length (fringe cutting). Weaver Cons: Bottom roller adjustment is done with two screws, hand cranking is slower and requires more effort (the Weaver machine can be geared down when cutting heavy leathers)the unit is shipped with 1" spacers...additional spacers are at an extra cost while the cobra comes with a full set of spacers. Pros: easily controlled, easy to change blades and spacers, a quality machine made in the USA. Uses Randall blades. Overall, if I had to choose one machine, I would pick the Weaver.Don

Thanks Don. I was thinking of going with the Weaver too. I could kick myself - I passed on one someone was selling for $800 a couple of months back, almost new, because I didn't have the spare cash at the moment.

Another couple of questions, if you don't mind; I'm assuming you have to re-adust when switching from, say, 10oz to 12oz, but how does it handle the vatiation in thickness from one end of the side to the other? How do you handle re-sharpening the blades? Shapening a round blade is beyond my expertise. Do you send them out to be re-sharpened?

On an off topic, have you ever heard how good the strap edge painter that Weaver sells is (The one with the 2 round foam pads)? I need to edge a boatload of leashes and they need to be done perfectly.

Edited by Ian

Ian,

I haven't had to sharpen the blades so far. I will probably replace them when they become dull. A slight variance in thickness (10 going to 12 ounce) isn't a problem with either of the strap cutters. On both machines the blades slightly cut into the nylon bottom roller and seem to cut whatever thickness you put in. The blade pressure on both units is adjustable.

If you're referring to the Heritage Dye Box II edge painter...it's a godsend. I purchased one last year...it saves hundreds of hours.

Don

Thanks, again, Don. I saw the edge painter at Weaver's sale this year and was tempted to pick one up, but I always hate to get anything without a recommendation. I should have known someone on LW would have used one. Thanks much.

Check this out on ebay. It's listed wrong, but the price is right for the machine shown. Give em a call and get listing correct. I've used one of these for years and they are great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEWPRO-Mini-441-Sewing-Machine-for-Leather-/121189129415?pt=BI_Sewing_Machines&hash=item1c376f5cc7

That is interesting. It looks like if you built a table to recess the machine, it would be easy to feed a side through. Does it come with a variety of spacers, or do they sell them seperately?

We have a Cobra AK-20 strap cutter as well as a Weaver hand crank strap cutter in our shop. There are pros and cons with each. Cobra Cons: time consuming setup when changing strap width, you have to hold the switch in with your finger to activate leaving only one hand to guide the leather (I'm going to rig up a foot switch in the future) Pros: requires little effort to cut compared to hand crank, the Cobra has a lever to lower bottom roller allowing you to easily remove leather if you don't want to cut entire length (fringe cutting). Weaver Cons: Bottom roller adjustment is done with two screws, hand cranking is slower and requires more effort (the Weaver machine can be geared down when cutting heavy leathers)the unit is shipped with 1" spacers...additional spacers are at an extra cost while the cobra comes with a full set of spacers. Pros: easily controlled, easy to change blades and spacers, a quality machine made in the USA. Uses Randall blades. Overall, if I had to choose one machine, I would pick the Weaver.Don

Will the weaver eat through 14 ounce? Also I'm assuming you need a straight edge before you run it through. Also can you make it only cut one or 2 straps at a time..just wondering. Thanks

The Weaver will cut 14 ounce without a problem. It is an 8" strap cutter and comes with 7 blades and 1" spacers. Additional spacers can be purchased in several widths. You can add remove blades and cut as many or as few straps as you want. It is a hand crank machine...the more blades, the harder it is to turn. Although it has high & low torque handle positions. Yes, you need a straight edge to start the cuts. We use one in our shop every day.

The Weaver will cut 14 ounce without a problem. It is an 8" strap cutter and comes with 7 blades and 1" spacers. Additional spacers can be purchased in several widths. You can add remove blades and cut as many or as few straps as you want. It is a hand crank machine...the more blades, the harder it is to turn. Although it has high & low torque handle positions. Yes, you need a straight edge to start the cuts. We use one in our shop every day.

Great. Thanks for fast reply. Whats the method you use to get that first straight edge cut? Im using a long straight edge and running my leather knife or razor blade along the straight edge. However its inconsistent. i think I got a ridiculously stiff pc of leather. Its 13 oz and it feels like I'm trying to cut through concrete. Should I invest on getting a long cutting board to cut over? Would that help? Thanks

Alexis, We have a 4x8 table with a plastic (puckboard) top that we use for cutting sides. We use a aluminum straight edge and a razor (box cutter) blade to get a straight edge. It would be difficult with out the correct cutting surface!

Alexis, We have a 4x8 table with a plastic (puckboard) top that we use for cutting sides. We use a aluminum straight edge and a razor (box cutter) blade to get a straight edge. It would be difficult with out the correct cutting surface!

Thanks. I appreciate the advice. Were can I find buckboard

Edited by Alexis Sofield

I got the Cobra strap cutter a few months ago and like it. Personally I like the power cutter option, rather than having to crank.

Edited by lws380

Hey Ian I have a hand crank splitter brand new all bolted up to my cut table. It's not a weaver but quality made in the USA. I have all the spacers and blades, never used it! Would consider selling it! And I'm south of Keene nh on rt 10. I'd consider selling it.

-Andrew

Ian, I had it custom made by byler lesther machines, I just never use it! I waited 6-8 months to get it made!

awharness did you ever sell your hand crank splitter

How about a Randall Belt Cutter and Clicker owner is looking to separate these 2 items $1200 for both Thanks

Not sure if Cowboy USA sells them but in Australia we sell a few of these bench mounted slitters with a 4" throat. As they are often used in the shoe industry they have a rotary glue press.

20171031_175818.jpg

Darren, we do not have this mini strap cutting machine in USA, as they need 110V voltage.