I have a good amount of veg tanned pig belly leather and I want to make some belts. I know it is frowned upon due to the natural stretching of a belly but is it completely impossible? The reason I ask is college kid budget concerns.

Bonus question, I am thinking about buying an australian strander for making a braided belt. Worth it or should I just cut by hand?

Thank you.

It's not impossible.. maybe it will stretch and you will have to add another hole, not the end of the world.

Regarding the strander, if your on a budget you could cut the lace free hand, but it will take a while. Having a strander will make it a lot easier.

Either way, cut your strands a bit wider than you need them, stretch them then trim to the width you want.

Pete

I made a belt from thick belly leather... I've been wearing it about 6 months with no stretching so far. It might over time, but it cost me virtually nothing, so not too bothered.

It has a very nice natural grain, too.

As long as it's for you - go for it. But, try not to use it as an example of your work for potential customers.

I would advise gluing and stitching it to a thinner piece of veg tan, this will firm it up quite a bit and won't stretch so readily.