Glendon

Leathercrafttools.com/

Hi all,

Has anyone ordered from http://www.leathercrafttools.com/ ? I am wondering how reliable they are. I would like to pick up a couple of the newer Japanese leathercraft books. I went to the old standby Goods Japan. On a side note, its pretty amazing how fast those guys became a standard supplier. While their tool and supply pricing is just fine, the books they sell are pretty high up there.

So if anyone has experence with leathercrafttools.com, I would apprecate a quick review. Thanks..

Oh, I'm interested in too! I found that website some imes ago, but as you I am not sure if it's good...

I ordered a wallet kit from them...hope it is good quality...

let us know when you got it! =)

I am interested too. Some prices look good, some look high. Interested in quality (I will pay for quality).

I do see that they have a Chan Geer book image on their website. The book is not for sale on their site (nor should it be), so it looks like they were lifting pictures off the internet.

Aaron

I received my kit today. Instructions are completely unusable. They are in some kind of broken English and don't make any sense. (i.e. sew these two pieces together, but don't sew them to the wallet. Makes no sense at all.)

I'm going to write to them, but have little hope of making this thing without usable instructions.

Also, their "free gift" is a tiny, little valet tray, about 3" x 3"...nice, but pretty much unusable for anything.

Definitely email them for assistance.

I just started, and I wanted to order some quality Japanese tools. At first, I wanted to order from Goods Japan, but I heard from others that Leathercrafttools.com are the same but cheaper.

Before I bought my stuff, I asked them what the manufacturers are for the items. Most of their items are Kyoshin-Elle or Craft Sha items (Bevelers, overstitch wheels, edge tools, etc). The same ones from GoodsJapan. You can see the same images from both sites. Some of the other ones are sourced by them with their internal brands (LC - LeatherCraft) such as pricking irons. I confirmed with them LC tools are made in Japan also. To me, the pricking iron is very good quality, and it looks very similar to a Craft Sha pricking iron that I see on GoodsJapan.

I had advised them to advertise what brand the items were to help the community, but, so far, they haven't updated their site. Currently, I think their site is catered towards their Japanese domestic market. Therefore, the info may seem lacking or weird.

However, email them for more information.

I already did...right after I posted my reply above on the 29th. Waiting for their response.

Edited by TXAG

You can get started with a diamond awl from Osborne, a fork, a little bench vice, some waxed thread in a weight appropriate to your project, and, obviously, some leather. I'm not saying this to be a smartass, but as someone who has never been satisfied with budget tools. Ever. They're cheap for a reason. Good tools are made with materials appropriate to their use to ensure good results and long wear.

I build toolkits based on what I need when I need it and I always buy decent quality. It costs twice as much or more, which ultimately is still a savings, both because I'm actually getting the right tool with no compromise, and because I won't have to replace some rubbish tool sooner than I anticipated. In the US that means getting vintage American non-Tandy tools like Osborne and Gomph.

The Japanese stuff still looks skeezy compared to Osborne and Dixon. The Korean and Chinese stuff isn't worth bringing into your home.

I did receive revised instructions from the folks at leathercrafttools.com...they are a little better. What really helped was the actual pics of the finished wallet.

Now I have to decide if I want to leave it plain, ala http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/jeansbug/item/2170579/

..or do I want to try tooling it. Will probably hand sew it, though it looks like they used a machine on the pics on leathercrafttools website...

Ideas?

I've order tools and chisels from here. Shipment was fast and it was a great price compared to another site I used to use out of japan. Would buy again from here.

I ordered a few english point stamps from them. Shipping was quick and price good, compared to other firms. Quality of the steel is good. I'm satisfied with them.

Well, i ordered some thread to try. and they're not too bad. The shipping is fast for international shipping at the price.

I haven't try their tools, but i wanted to try their end punch, the price seems neat for me.