Josh33806

Where To Get A Custom Made Transfer? - Like Craftaid Does For Carvings

G'day

Just wondering if anyone knows of somewhere I could get these made up from?

I would like to make my own designs and then be able to use them over and over - having something I could see through would be wonderful.

Cheers

Josh

Most of us just use transfer paper, but many use overhead projector sheets that will last a long time through several uses. Myself, I reuse the piece of tracing paper quite a bit by just putting a piece of clear packing tape on the back of it for protection.

Thanks Cyberthrasher, I also use transfer paper.

I am after exactly what I have described above, a clear plastic sheet with raised impressions to speed up the process and make it neater.

Cheers

Josh

If you're set on it, I would contact a company like Black River Laser and see if they can work with you on it. I'm just not sure if they can do something like the raised impressions.

That said, keep in mind that the best way to speed up the process is to practice. I point this out because quality work depends on KNOWING your design. We KNOW our design by tracing it onto transfer paper, and then going over it again with a stylus. With that method, you'll KNOW exactly what needs to happen at each portion of the design when you're tooling it, which translates to less time stopping to think about the design and better work overall. You can prove this to yourself by doing the same design a few times and taking note of how it improves overall with each attempt.

Thanks I know of Black River Laser and I was thinking on contacting them :)

Thank you for the advise, I am however not a novice and get plenty of practice.

Everyone has their own process, and as such a template would aid mine greatly.

Cheers

Josh

Another option would be to make your own "tap off". I just recently heard about them and gave it a try on some mirror image carved straps and it worked very well. Basically just carve the a mirrored outline of the pattern you want a template of in a heavy piece of scrap, dry it with some heat to harden the leather then put a cot of sealer on it. To use it just set it carved side down on your cased leather and tap the backside with a smooth faced hammer.

Good luck, Josh

Treed, you are wonderful- exactly what I was after! Thank you so much :thumbsup:

G'day Josh Ashman

I know of the 'tap off' method, it works - just not as well as a clear see through plastic sheet ;) Thank you for the advice :)

Cheers

Josh

I create my art work with Corel Draw then print on an overhead projector clear plastic sheet. They can be used many times. When tracing on the leather be sure the printed side is up otherwise it will transfer to the leather.

On 10/29/2013 at 5:08 PM, Josh33806 said:

G'day

Just wondering if anyone knows of somewhere I could get these made up from?

I would like to make my own designs and then be able to use them over and over - having something I could see through would be wonderful.

Cheers

Josh

Have you found one? Looking as well.

I know a this is an old thread but I figured I would pass it on.  There in a place in central Texas, Makers Leather Supply.  They are putting out “Pattern Rubs” pretty reasonable.  Most are production artwork, but for money of coarse they do custom ones.   

Here is their website but if you want one of these I would give them a call http://makersleathersupply.com/

Thanks for the info Brian!

I have been looking at this as well, i ended up using a cricut dye cutter and some thin polysyrene? i think, i used the deep cut blade and cut a mirror image into the plastic then used it just like the craftaid rubbing the back onto cased leather with a smooth stylus.  I'll post pics and specs if anyone is interested.  I added a comparison pic, the top was using the etching tool and bottom using the deep cut blade.  The upload limit prevented a good quality res photo, but if you zoom in you can see the bottom came out way better.

angel wings-template.bmp

Edited by koreric75

On 1/25/2018 at 6:59 AM, koreric75 said:

I have been looking at this as well, i ended up using a cricut dye cutter and some thin polysyrene? i think, i used the deep cut blade and cut a mirror image into the plastic then used it just like the craftaid rubbing the back onto cased leather with a smooth stylus.  I'll post pics and specs if anyone is interested.  I added a comparison pic, the top was using the etching tool and bottom using the deep cut blade.  The upload limit prevented a good quality res photo, but if you zoom in you can see the bottom came out way better.

angel wings-template.bmp

I'd like more information please. 

When you used the deep cut blade on the plastic, how did you get it to gouge the plastic but keep it from actually cutting?

On the top photo, do you mean you used the stylus to make the impression on the plastic or the leather directly? If directly on the leather, did you wet it first?