leatherorpleather

How Do I Sublimate On Leather?

I did some research and found this post that I linked to as an image below.

So as I understand it, I buy some inks a heat press and a protective coating correct?

Can anyone point me in the right direction, I'm a little overwhelmed trying to find the inks/coating and not sure if it'd even work.

I did find a cheap heat press on ebay though!

I would plan to do it on cowhide 2oz btw, if that matters ^_^

Your link does not seem to be here.

I did some research and found this post that I linked to as an image below.

So as I understand it, I buy some inks a heat press and a protective coating correct?

Can anyone point me in the right direction, I'm a little overwhelmed trying to find the inks/coating and not sure if it'd even work.

I did find a cheap heat press on ebay though!

I would plan to do it on cowhide 2oz btw, if that matters ^_^

I have worked with sublimation for a number of years, you need to do a lot of home work before you start into this.

ferg

I am also wondering about this, I have seen it done for awards when the group only has a small budget. I am assuming it is cheaper and that is why Youth rodeos and 4H are going with this style? Can you actually sublimate leather? Or Pleather as your name suggests?

You can, but the surface does best at the renderings if it has a coat of white. Alternative is to use white leather such as Doe Skin.

You can use a color/mono laser printer onto top quality copy paper then transfer the image to the leather. Yes, you need a heat press.

Image has to be baked after the transfer.

Sublimation is an expensive hobby/business. Extremely frustrating, the results of much trial and error will blow you away.

ferg

screen printing is worth a look for one colour designs. On 2-3 colour design you have to get a screen press station that has multiple screen holders that cost 500 to upwards of 1 grand. If its a small design like a wallet, 2-3 colours can fit on a single screen if you are careful when squeegeing the screen.

What you need for screen printing:

A usable ink for leather or acrylic angelus leather ink w/ screen printing medium (to prevent ink from drying)

Screen for printing and a squeegee

exposure unit

emulsion ink + spreader

ink jet printer + clear sheet that can print dark enough inks for the emulsion/ design making process.

screen printing machine

cut outs to align the leather to the pattern on the screen

Theres sublimation printers that print onto self weeding transfer paper (you don't have to manually pick out the white spaces in the design). After the printing is done on the paper it is pressed under a heat press. Another way that is similar is cutting out designs one colour at a time from solid colour vinyl with a plotter printer.

What you need for sublimation printing and press:

Sublimation printer (comes with the special ink depending on model)

self weeding transfer paper.

Heat press (some of these machines are poorly made and don't have heating elements across the whole plate)

Sublimation is harder to align based on what I saw on the videos because you can't see the design (the paper isn't transparent) so theres definitely a learning curve.

Sublimation costs for the cheapest price 180 for the printer + 30 dollars for 100 sheets + 300 for a press.

Screen printing cost for the cheapest price if you have a printer already - 149 for a press machine (one colour/one screen) + 40 dollars for single colour of angelus paint and screen medium + 10 for squeegee + 45 for exposure + 5 dollars for the transparent film + 50ish dollars for the screen, emulsion ink and spreader.

Theres a way to avoid getting a printing press by building an alignment piece and anchor it onto a board or table but it has to be made well for it to work.

Edited by DavidL

I have two sublimation printers. Truth is, a number of printers can print with the sub inks. My printers are low to mid range price wise. One cost about $900 the other was $600. Subbing inks are very expensive and will clog a printer head for no other reason than to aggravate you.

My heat press was $1600, it is 16" x 20". Transfer paper depends on what you are going to use it for, hard surface or soft, cloth or wood etc.

Sublimation has a sharp learning curve, one of them is not positioning your sub-strate. Ceramic tiles, jewelry pieces, plaques, etc. etc. are coated to take the sublimation inks. I have coated my own product with good results. I presently have $5000 to $8000 inventory of sublimation substrates.

ferg