roys29

Handgun Holster Patterns

Although I am new to this forum, I have been making custom holsters for over 30 years. In the late '70s I read an article in Guns and Ammo magazine on how to make a custom holster and that got me started. I've seen many requests here from folks wanting a holster pattern for a particular gun, but if you're already making holsters, why not make your own patterns as well. TandyLeatherFactory still sells the excellent Al Stohlman book "How to Make Holsters" and I recommend this as a source for ideas. The Internet and window-shopping your local gun/sporting goods stores also provide pattern ideas. I have made so many holsters over the years, both successful and unsuccessful, that I can pretty much look at a picture of a holster and make a similar pattern. Here is an article for making an IWB/OWB belt holster. This is my favorite pattern for making a pancake-style holster that will fit inside the waist band for deep concealability, or on the belt outside. Enjoy.

247_Holster.pdf

Thanks for sharing that pattern! I have a request for just such a holster & have been looking at pics & drawing up ideas as this will be my 1st of this style. This pattern will help!

Man, I was really overthinking this holster! After seeing how you did it I am "full steam ahead"!

Thanks for the share, some really good information. Another example of what this site is all about, good people and education in leather.

Roy, great pattern, it can easily be redrawn to fit almost any pistol. Thank you for sharing.

Edited by camano ridge

A couple of notes about making pancake holsters:

1. The side of the holster that fits under the grip has to be low enough so the shooter can fit the fingers of the shooting hand between the grip and the top of the holster. Ask me how I learned this the hard way! :oops: Bringing this top edge down to below the first 1/3 of the trigger guard seems to work well for me.
  2. Holster cant can be accomplished in two ways; tilting the gun, or moving the belt slots. In the pattern for this topic I tilted the gun, but the belt slots are level.
  3. Your pants belt should cross the gun at or above the center of gravity of the gun. This keeps the gun close to your body. I once made a holster for a full size 1911 that was so high, when it was loaded with a full magazine it fell away from my body because the belt was below (way below) the CG of the loaded gun! (Couldn't find a smiley for dumb@$$!)

Anyway I hope you fiind these tips helpful.

That was a great tutorial roys29.I've made a few standard belt hosters but not any pancake iwb holsters yet. do you have the rough side of the leather out on the side that would be against you? also,I've seen at least one company that makes these use horsehide instead of cowhide.do you see any advantage to using horsehide

Hi Bladegrinder,

I make them with smooth-side out. The loops keep it inside the pants. I've never used horse hide so I have no idea what the difference is.

I just wanted to say thanks as well... I'm going to use this as a starting point!

Awesome wealth of information here. Will definitely be using this in my IWB holster project soon. Thanks for sharing!