studawg03

Sewing Overlapping Edges

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on the best way to sew a bag together like the one in the link below. I was planning on creating each half individually and then sewing them together with a saddle stitch. How would I use a stitching clamp to do this? Would it be better to just pre punch holes sew without a clamp? Thank you so so much

http://mansurgavriel.com/large-tote-brandy-with-lime/

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on the best way to sew a bag together like the one in the link below. I was planning on creating each half individually and then sewing them together with a saddle stitch. How would I use a stitching clamp to do this? Would it be better to just pre punch holes sew without a clamp? Thank you so so much

http://mansurgavriel...andy-with-lime/

If you don't mind me tagging a secondary question onto yours, I'm curious how these bags are sewn on machines? I can more easily get my mind around doing it by hand (though the idea of sewing any bag by hand is not pleasant) than I can figure out how with that seam type they are getting to it with any type of machine I'm aware of. Especially a cylinder arm.

You can't do these on a cylinder arm. You may be able to do them on a high post arm machine. There are also machines with a swiveling post arm that has a c shaped bend in the arm so you can get something like this underneath. Basically you would need a relatively specialized machine to sew this.

Andrew

I can't seem to get to your image...but on the subject of bags you can sew almost anything on a flat or cylinder machine, ideally using both for different functions. What you can't do is put it all together in any particular order. It's all about spacial dissassembly and reassembly, identifying which parts need to be sewn in which order so that the piece can be worked on the machine. There are limits tho...and I think you found one of them.

From what I can dig up via a google image search I'd do a variation of that bag in three main pieces...two sides and a bottom. I'd join the two sides with lap joints or french seams and then I'd turn the bag over and sew the bottom on inside-out with a welt.

Edited by MadMorbius