Sign in to follow this  
Birdman

Tracking Harness

A few months ago I acquired a new hound ------or did she acquire me?

I made up the usual collars and rolled leather leads and decided a tracking harness would also have a use. I searched the forum for a pattern with no luck. So it came down to pencil and paper and reference to various picture on the net. It is a little bit baggy at the mid hole adjustments as the hound still has/had some growing to do and I may have to make some replacement straps when she has fully filled out.

It is made with leather from the scrap box. The straps are split down stirrup butt, the body front is 'baghide', the back is kangaroo.

post-31019-0-08314700-1383896774_thumb.j

post-31019-0-50236900-1383896776_thumb.j

post-31019-0-78044500-1383896778_thumb.j

post-31019-0-08725500-1383896781_thumb.j

post-31019-0-76823400-1383896841_thumb.j

post-31019-0-67351400-1383896846_thumb.j

Ps. Hand stiched----of course!

Fully adjustable and looks great, nice work.

Looks good and well made. I like how the quick release buckle has that leather flap under it.

Looks like a Drahthaar or a Griffon.

Thank you for your kind comments.

The buckle guard is a migrated idea from 'English' type saddles. If I make another tracking harness, I will use slightly firmer leather for the guard.This has not buckled or shifted to date, but I think it may as it becomes more 'used'.

tnawrot2.........

Poppy is what we in the UK call a German Wirehaired Pointer. A Drahthaar is what they call them in Germany.The (UK) Kennel Club accepts Drahthaar as a GWP on to their register, but not vice versa! They have to be born in Germany to qualify as Drahthar and entered into their stud book. They also have to pass stringent hunting tests in order to qualify as breeding stock for registerable offspring. Not a bad requirement.

Poppys sire is an imported Drahthaar and her dams side is not to far away from imported Drahthaar stock.

The Griffon (Korthals Griffon) was of course bred using the Drathaar as foundation stock.

I understand both breeds have a small band of very enthusiastic followers in the USA !

Edited by Birdman