Cmoore

Help Choosing The Right Cylinder Machine

Hello everyone! Looking for some advice on cylinder sewing machines. I make leather handbags and I have a reliable 8600B machine. I want to expand my line with barrel bags for everyday use and bicycles. My line is pretty utilitarian with a sense of everyday fashion. Some of my bags that I make now are almost impossible to make without climbing into them; I need a cylinder machine badly. I would be using leather in the 4-6oz. range. I looked at the Techsew 2800 and was wondering if anyone can give me any insight to their opinion. I like the price of the machine which is $1,700. Looked at an Adler but I can't afford it. I also have a consew flat bed sewing machine that is probably about 30 years old and is amazing. I was going to check that brand out. I really want to stay under $2,000 but don't want to buy the wrong machine. I would definitely appreciate some experienced info on a cylinder bed walking foot for medium weight fabrics!

Thank You!!!

Cowboy also makes a medium duty cylinder arm machine, with reverse: the CB-227R. Then, there is a Seiko that I believe is in the same price range.

The cowboy 227 is a great machine. Plenty of power for the leather you are working with, and a ton of accessories available for it.

Chuck

I'll check them out as well. What about the techsew though, is it enough for what I want to do?

I'll check them out as well. What about the techsew though, is it enough for what I want to do?

Cowboy 227 and Techsew 2700/2800 are the same basic machine. I have a 2700. Works well for me. If you ever sew 8 oz, single layer hard temper or 2 layers, get the pulley reduction kit.

Tom

The 2700 is our most popular machine for leather handbags and purses. Perfect for what you want to do (4-6oz range) and room for thicker as well.

Give us a call any time during the week if you have any other questions - we're always available and reachable.

Ron

Thanks Ron!

make sure you get a speed reducer or a gear reduction motor $.02

I have the Techsew 2700 with a speed reducer and I am very pleased with it. It will sew two layers of 8 oz veg-tan easy and two layers layers of 2 oz garment calfskin.

Support from the people at Techsew has been great. I am still learning but it was a great purchase.

It also depends on the thread that you want to use. You may have to go to the COBRA Class 3/4, or the Cowboy or Techsew versions of the same style machine. Alot of purse/bag makers like a 277 thread rather than the 138 (and with slight modifications a 207 thread), that the smaller cylinder arm machines use. This is a preference call, but the heavier thread is the cosmetic look these days. Steve