Dennis Lanigan

Homemade Bark Tan Leather

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to share some bark tan deer hides I have been working on. Tell me what you think! If you're interested in picking them up I have them for sale on my Etsy store (and more pictures too).

And I hope it's OK I'm just showing a hide and not a made item. It took me a long time to figure out how to tan hides and now I am on to the task of learning how to make stuff out of them. Get them before I figure it out! :)

Thanks, Dennis

post-29598-0-96493400-1384275190_thumb.j

post-29598-0-29010400-1384275534_thumb.j

post-29598-0-53622500-1384275547_thumb.j

Edited by Dennis Lanigan

That's awsome. Do you have a recipie and instructions? I alum tanned one a long time ago it is a lot of work.

Thanks. Well the instructions are pretty long to do good stuff. Here's a guide to get you started. It is a lot of work that's for sure.

http://braintan.com/barktan/1basics.htm

I'm curious. What would you consider a fair price? $25 sq. ft. is the high standard for deer brain tan buckskin, and bark tan done by hand (along with getting most of the extracts from the woods, etc.) is no less easy.

I don't presume anything about tanning to be easy. Very long and arduous. Very beautiful work. I don't mean to insult.

Really none of my business what you charge.

I used Oak Galls (quercus garryana), Hemlock bark, and some Chestnut extract. No dyes were used.